• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pick which budget level 7mm Black Plug Wire

Which budget level 7mm Black Ignition Wire Set?

• DENSO

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • UNITED MOTOR PRODUCTS

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • ACDELCO

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Moroso

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
Wow, makes for quite the contrast with the MSD 8.5mm "Super Conductor" wire sets. Those claim only 50ohm/ft
resistance, which I can verify when I made up my set (I got headers and such).

Firecore sells 50 ohms too ( hence the reason of the brand, firecore50 ), however they are not the 7 mm ( what OP request ), but the new 8 mm versions.

quite ago, the 250 ohms were 8 mm, and 50 ohms were 8.5 mm.

shame because I wanted 7 mms from them ( no matter if 250 ) but they didn't have those on those days. I bought twice to have spares and making a measure correction for 73 and lates B body but never catched a 7 mm set. So I had to get enlarged my wire brackets to fit 8 mm

Last edited:
Your running a points ignition from what I understand

You really didn’t state what your motor build was ?

Anyways Chrysler ran those Packard Carbon Core ignition wires for decades from the factory

All I was stating and showing was ohm values from what I measured when I was chasing higher rpm ignition issues on a non stock motor build

In your initial post you stated performance and durability

Well

Yes, it’s a mostly stock/restored build overall. Factory points distributor, OEM Chrysler coil, and now add to the mix OEM Packard wires. Part of the hobby for me is to get this project as close to factory as I can to actually experience how it performs for myself, as it was, back in the day. Then, if there are any glaring deficiencies, correct them.

Those 7mm Packard carbon core oem wires where over 5,000 ohms per foot when I measured them - Reproduction Chrysler yellow script - Longest wire #7 was around 25,000 ohms brand new

When I replaced them with those 7mm Pertronix spiral core wires they measured around 400 ohms per foot from what I remember - Longest wire #7 was less then 2,000 ohms

Yeah, looking at the shop manual just now, high tension cables aren't condemned until exceeding 30,000 ohms. Seems like a ton after shopping aftermarket sets. Conversely, these cars ran strong when new so it's all interesting data points to consider.

What did you notice about using FireCore? What are the specifics of you ignition system; distributor-electronic/points? Coil?

I'm running a Mallory dual point, a little hotter coil in a mild build 440. I first started out with MSD wires and during my initial 20 min cam break in one of the wires backed of the plug. You don't need that and on other occasions different wires would do the same. Their plug connectors don't have any memory and won't stay clipped on the plug.

So hearing other folks that were using FireCore I decided to give them a try. Their site lets you enter the length of each wire and select what ends you want. I'm using headers so a custom order is what I wanted. I'm pretty sure they have the factory information if you are using manifolds. I noticed a big improvement in performance and they are a great product especially to holding up to header heat. It's been two years now and they still look and preform like new.

Anyway here's my story on dealing with Rick from FireCore who is also a member on here... (notice the timeline!)
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/placing-a-firecore-wire-order.151334/

I sent to Firecore the measurements for the 73 and lates BB blocks wires maybe 4 or 5 years ago, but never listed them as an option on the list to be sold as an stocked set.

:poke:

I'm running a Mallory dual point, a little hotter coil in a mild build 440. I first started out with MSD wires and during my initial 20 min cam break in one of the wires backed of the plug. You don't need that and on other occasions different wires would do the same. Their plug connectors don't have any memory and won't stay clipped on the plug.

So hearing other folks that were using FireCore I decided to give them a try. Their site lets you enter the length of each wire and select what ends you want. I'm using headers so a custom order is what I wanted. I'm pretty sure they have the factory information if you are using manifolds. I noticed a big improvement in performance and they are a great product especially to holding up to header heat. It's been two years now and they still look and preform like new.

Anyway here's my story on dealing with Rick from FireCore who is also a member on here... (notice the timeline!)
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/placing-a-firecore-wire-order.151334/

Your layout (and therefore, measurements) should be able to be used by anyone running "conventional" headers
for a 440, I'd think - like me.
Short of how you ran yours on the drivers' side down low on the steering box, I've done the same with my MSD's
(which haven't given me issue with "popping off" yet, knock wood) - I've yet to find a satisfying solution to that
situation, honestly.
The price of running headers, I suppose...

I tried the fancy organizers that mount on the valve cover bolts, but those dang things seemingly are in the way
constantly when trying to work in that area - and they'll dice and slice yer digits if you're not careful, too.
Sold those things quick. :)

All that said, if someone wanted to use your measurements for a nice set of Firecores for my upcoming 18th birthday,
I wouldn't object. I just can't justify their cost out of my tight pockets. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back