• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pikes Peak HIll Climb Record Smashed

SteveSS

Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
By 16 seconds! It was cold and misty at the bottom today and I hear they had a snowball fight at the top,

Dumas crushed the electric and overall Pikes Peak Hill Climb record crossing the finish line in under eight minutes with an official time of 7:57.418.

Early reports speculated that Dumas’ 2018 Volkswagen I.D. R Pikes Peak was superior to eO PP100 driven by Rhys Millen that set the electric record in 2016. But the overall record, set by Sebastien Loeb in 2013 has held strong for five years.

Dumas and his Volkswagen team beat the electric record by nearly a minute, and claimed the overall title by more than 16 seconds.

“It was a good run finally under eight after so many times trying,” Dumas said. “Congratulations to Volkswagen for making a car like that in eight months. The mechanics and everything, to make a car like that fully electric make it in under eight minutes, the technology is not so easy. In the end I just drive the car. Without a good car I cannot win.”

Dumas said he encountered some fog in the first sector which caused him to lose some time, but he pushed through the sun in the third sector to help get his time.

“You know this is Pikes Peak with the weather,” Dumas said. “We had no problems with the car at all which is nice because this was the first time we made it all the way through at high speed.”

As the day continued drivers reported the last turn and the finish line began to become slick as low clouds and moisture began to move across the summit.

Dumas said he was unavailable for some of the time leading up to the race due to other racing commitments, and credits other drivers on his crew for being here to make sure the car was running smoothly on race day.

“He was a little bit of my right foot because without them, for sure it wasn’t possible to test the car so many times,” Dumas said. “The team was incredible, the atmosphere incredible and the challenge was incredible. I have a lot of emotion because it’s like a dream, but I’m also very happy the race is done … I’m waiting to sleep for a few weeks because I am very tired.”

HOLY COW! Romain Dumas absolutely CRUSHED the electric and overall record with an unofficial time of 7:57 (!!!) #PikesPeak @PPIHC
Watch Dumas cross the line, celebrate, and speak a bit about his race. pic.twitter.com/RKDgRxvR6I

— Lindsey Smith (@LindseySquints) June 24, 2018

Auto Transport Service
Back