• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Planning to restore this 63 Polara vert- I have questions?

RUMBLON

Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
Hey gang, since I am keeping this original for the most part I have some questions and since this appears to be a very smart group of 62-65 owners, I have a ton of questions below. I am sure I will have a hundred more, but here is a start. I cant start working on this for a while as I have to get some other projects sold and out of my shop for both room and funds for new stuff. I plan on using the original engine but want to pep it up and have a bunch of questions, which are below. I appreciate any assistance sources, ect and at almost 50, I understand that I can learn a lot prior to starting, which will save me time, frustration and money down the road.

Thanks for any help

RUMBLON

#1: What is a decent disc brake kit that will do the car justice, that wont break the? I am more than likely going to use 15" wheels/ tires as I want to fill up the rear and may go with some new springs out back. I’m keeping it this color but its going to look like a HOTROD! Also, is this the correct power brake booster and should I use this one, but a new one just like it or upgrade to a dual reservoir master cylinder and make it all newer brakes, which is what I believe is best? I imagine most newer ones will fit right in?

#2: I’m going to change it to electronic ignition.

#3: How is the standard manifold and carb on this year 383? Any suggestions on upgrades or tricks to make it better.

#4: Is this the correct air cleaner for the car or do I need to find one?

#5: How well do these power steering pumps work and who makes a decent replacement? I tend to use rockauto.com for most newer parts like this.

#6: This is a biggie. In looking at the trim that runs the distance, I am guessing it is hard to come by? And HOW DO I GET THIS TRIM OFF? Special trim tool and if so, which one? Any pics? I DONT want to damage this trim. I’m not starting soon but want to get the tools I need to do it right as this is a weakness I have had over the years.

#7: Convertible top: Who makes a good one for it and did they have glass in them like my 70 Cuda vert or some sort of plexi glass??

#8: Its an electric convertible top like my 70. I am assuming the pumps in close to the same as well as the lines? Any guesses?

#9: REAR END MUST BE REPLACED: I can save this one and store it as the original, but I want a 323 SG newer style for the car. I have yet to unload this car, were these Sure grip or one leggers?

#10: The tranny: Is there a place that specializes in the PUSH BUTTON style of auto 727 for parts, cables, ect? I understand the 727 is the same beast? But the other stuff ???

#11: Rear springs? Has anyone here used the super stock rear springs on their convertible or moves the perches in to accommodate some wider tires. Not super wide just enough to get it to hook up?

#12: 383? I KNOW THEY ARE GREAT MOTORS. I HAD ONE IN A 68 Roadrunner. But I will want it pumped up a bit. And this blue older mopar color is going to take some getting used to. I have this thing about great looking engine bays and cant wait to get things done. I don’t want to stroke the 383 or anything radical, just give it some growl and beef it up a bit. Any suggestions on cam, ect? How are these 63 heads??? Do they typically need some love/ porting, ect? Should I store the 63 heads and opt for some better heads, different year or keep it original?

#13: Who can make my headlight rims perfect? Do you guys typically do this yourself with trim repair hammers, ect? Or send them off to someone??

#14: When restoring your seats, door panels ect for these, who are you using, Legendary interiors?? Or is there a better supplier for the 62-65 cars?

Auto Transport Service
Back