• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering pump problems

RobertV

Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
Ongoing saga....I purchased a Federal power steering pump to replace my TRW pump that failed. I then had to purchase new mounting bracket for the Federal pump. I removed the pulley from the TRW pump to transfer to the Federal, but the TRW shaft is bigger. I can't find the correct pulley for the Federal pump. It's 4-3/4" in diameter with a 5/8" bore. I bought the pump from Classic Industries and even they don't have a pulley for it. I'm willing to swap anyone my TRW pulley for one that will fit the Federal pump.

Found an aluminum one for $85. Saw a factory one that just sold on Ebay for $60, although most look to be about $100. You might check for a used pump (to get the pulley) on this site. You might also check a salvage yard (maybe a C-body pulley). "Maybe" 440 Source?

Purchased a Borgeson Saginaw style pump with bracket and pulley. I also had to purchase a high pressure hose to fit the pump side. Then the fitting on the gear box side was male instead of female. I ended up taking the hose to a local hydraulic hose shop and they were able to put the correct fitting on. I reassembled everything and it now functions perfectly. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

20230829_122225.jpg

20230829_120706.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back