• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Pumps-Good Info-Specifically TRW

Suregrip391

Local time
3:52 PM
Reaction score
There always seems to be a lot of confusion and questions on ID’ing power steering pumps and what kit to use because Rock Auto has a horrible listing on these parts, they refer to chrysler pumps, Saginaw pumps, But NOT a TRW pump. The following info should help the TRW owners on this site. Would be cool to have others add there pumps ( Federal, Saginaw) with part numbers, tools needed and such.

I’ll start this one off! Because I just got done resealing two different styles of TRW pumps. The “Small” TRW pump is the pump with the plain shaft, no hole, no hex. The Edelmann kit part number is 7897. The “Large” TRW pump with the hex shaft ( Does Not have internal threads to reinstall pulley) uses Edelmann kit number 7898. You can buy the kits from Rock Auto or Amazon.

Note...don’t buy the lisle tool part number 39000, it won’t fit the pulley hub to remove the pulley. I ended up buying an OTC tool. Worked great.

You do need a press to get each of these pulleys back on. None of these shafts are threaded for the tool to reinstall the pulley.

Hope it helps....

There always seems to be a lot of confusion and questions on ID’ing power steering pumps and what kit to use because Rock Auto has a horrible listing on these parts, they refer to chrysler pumps, Saginaw pumps, But NOT a TRW pump. The following info should help the TRW owners on this site. Would be cool to have others add there pumps ( Federal, Saginaw) with part numbers, tools needed and such.

I’ll start this one off! Because I just got done resealing two different styles of TRW pumps. The “Small” TRW pump is the pump with the plain shaft, no hole, no hex. The Edelmann kit part number is 7897. The “Large” TRW pump with the hex shaft ( Does Not have internal threads to reinstall pulley) uses Edelmann kit number 7898. You can buy the kits from Rock Auto or Amazon.

Note...don’t buy the lisle tool part number 39000, it won’t fit the pulley hub to remove the pulley. I ended up buying an OTC tool. Worked great.

You do need a press to get each of these pulleys back on. None of these shafts are threaded for the tool to reinstall the pulley.

Hope it helps....
This information is greatly appreciated. I was beginning to think I'd have to find a Sagnaw pump because I couldn't find a rebuild kit for my TRW pump. Do you happen to know the part# to replace the high pressure hose? What OTC tool did you buy in order to get the pulley off?

Sorry, I missed this...let me get you the number after work.

Thank You Sir. I just picked up a complete steering box and sagnaw power steering pump with the hoses and pulley. It came off of a 71 Cuda. Please correct if I'm wrong. I could rebuild that pump, get a set of big block brackets, check to make sure the pulley will work and hopefully, I'd be good to go. Thanks Tim

So the TRW power steering pump is the Saginaw/General Motors design?

Thanks

Saginaw is completely different
Thanks for getting back to me. The 71 340ci Cuda Sagnaw pump and power steering box was a Facebook market place buy I couldn't pass up. I have read where guys have replace the TRW pumps with the Sagnaws units and then just picked up a set of BB brackets and the right pulley to make it work. Thanks to you... I order the rebuild kits for my TRW pump that came with my 383. I will rebuild it and see if I can find a replacement pwr steering hose for a 4 barrel car that won't cost me $500.00
Appreciate all of your assistance with this. Merry Christmas and may your New Year be a Healthy and Prosperous. Tim

So....Dealing with similar issue (leaky ps pump), not interested in rebuilding the existing one and mine has the TRW....in theory you should be able to get new mounting brackets for a Federal and swap out, looks like the federal style with the smaller notch on the rear is alot easier to find off the shelf than the TRW model. Unless I'm missing something?

Sorry, I missed your message. I just got back from Tucson. I was raised outside of Tombstone. I have 3 sisters who all reside in Tucson. My job has me out in Virginia. Would love to move to Tucson with the rest of my family. We'll see what happens when I retire in a few years.
As far as the pump. I rebuilt my TRW. Spent some time working on the metal housing. I've run the car a little more than 6 months now. Don't see any leaks at the pump. My trans pan is another story. I have a friend with a 69 Charger with the sagnaw pump in it. He'll have his car back on the road later this summer. We'll see how well his unit holds up. Don't have alot of experience with the federal pumps. They are very similar to the TRW's in appearance. I thought they lived in the A Bodies more than anything else. Best of Luck with your pump. Tim

No sweat Tim - I actually found a guy that rebuilds the TRW's: Norms Speed Shop www.normsspeedshop.com he's got all the pumps, caps, etc.
just bought a TRW off him, came with the pulley, cap and mounting hardware...super awesome, and he's a good dude, put it on last week and its perfect. so I'm going to get a rebuild kit for my old one and sell it or just keep a spare.

Auto Transport Service
Back