• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper transmission markings for a 1970 A833

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
12:21 AM
Reaction score
Should be picking up this charger rt soon, but I wanted to ask if there is anything weird with the VIN marking on the trans? I noticed some 68-69 have a full vin stamped on the pad (RS29…etc). This one is missing the XS29U before the rest of the VIN. Just trying to make sure everything looks legit, as having a numbers trans is important to verifying it as a factory 4 speed for me.m since there’s no fender tag and only a partial build sheet.

Does this look normal?

DB433790-FA6F-46A2-965F-4B9FE03FE9D6.jpeg

My '70 Charger does not have the XP29N portion of my VIN. My transmission case is not painted. Edit: I found trace amounts of orange paint on mine in a couple of places after closer inspection today.

I should be able to post a picture tomorrow since the weather will be good.

Last edited:
Looks legit, partial VIN early into the '69 car year in most facilities... my '69 was painted.. as shown when I found it again in my spares and I can't see why I ever would have painted it prior to '78 when I pulled it out of the car to put in another back when...
beerestoration2015-2016 184.JPG

If those eight numbers match the last eight of the VIN, and the body stamping, you are good to go. The body stamp should have the first two digits transposed

Both of my 70’s, ‘Cuda and Charger E87 D21 have the last 8 digits. The year, plant, and sequence.

Should be picking up this charger rt soon, but I wanted to ask if there is anything weird with the VIN marking on the trans? I noticed some 68-69 have a full vin stamped on the pad (RS29…etc). This one is missing the XS29U before the rest of the VIN. Just trying to make sure everything looks legit, as having a numbers trans is important to verifying it as a factory 4 speed for me.m since there’s no fender tag and only a partial build sheet.

Does this look normal?

View attachment 1238852
Your inbox is full.

It's legit.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back