• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulley Alignment w/ Vintage Air

dfrazz

Local time
2:50 AM
Reaction score
The 383 in my Charger ate up my v-belt. In looking closer I realized the power steering pump pulley is about 1/4” off from the water pump and crank pulleys. Vintage Air was installed by the PO and I’m not sure if that is why there is a L shaped mounting bracket (homemade?) for the power steering pump. I thought about shims between the power steering and vintage air bracket but not sure if that will just move the inner part of the bracket out or the whole bracket to include the pulley. Do I have the correct pulleys? Or any suggestions on how to align these better?

IMG_5568.jpeg

IMG_5567.jpeg

IMG_5569.jpeg

That pulley arrangement is all wrong.
The P/S has it's own belt. It shouldn't be shared with the fan.
The fan belt should go around the crank and an idler pulley to adjust tension.
The way it is in your car, the A/C pump should have 2 belts going around it, the alternator should have 2 pulleys and the crank should have 4 grooves.
See pictures:

Mock up 1.jpg

Mock up 7.jpg

605 B.JPG

The green belt you have may have been used to compensate for there being only a single belt?
Regardless...
Your fan needs more than 90 degrees of belt contact on the pulley and certainly doesn't need the additional drag of a P/S pump.

what kern dog said is correct except when using the federal or trw ps pump only one belt can be used. With the saginaw pump there is room for both belts. I just use a single sheeve water pump pulley, I think most of your issues is with that pully. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow from my 67 Coronet belt routing and install.

The pulley arrangement I posted was a common design that I found by looking online. It is how I arranged it on my car and how I’ll be doing it on another car.
The 1968 and earlier cars probably had something different. The mid and later 70s cars with smog pumps were also different.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back