• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

QA1 k member

bobtile

Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone here actually used a QA1 k frame? I'm interested in hearing about geometry issues, weight difference over stock, installation issues(strut rod fitment) or any other pros and con's. The price is very reasonable so it scares me.

Get one of these and eliminate the motor mounts.
You can lighten yours up by boxing it Jimmy can help you out with the welding

Attachments

• NEW HEMI4.jpg
    NEW HEMI4.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 303
You know I'm on a diet!

- - - Updated - - -

Get what? A 600" hemi?:)

- - - Updated - - -

After more beer... I mean research, it seems there is no real weight savings with this k member.

Yes there is a weight savings, looks way better, built stronger and has more clearance. I just put one in my 69' Dart, and son (11)could not lift the factory k frame, but had no problem with the QA1 k frame.

Yes there is a weight savings, looks way better, built stronger and has more clearance. I just put one in my 69' Dart, and son (11)could not lift the factory k frame, but had no problem with the QA1 k frame.
Do you know the actual difference in weight? It could be a ten pound difference between being able to lift something and not. Of its worth only a couple pounds, it's not worth it to me.

I'm guessing about 13-16lb. difference.

Has anyone here actually used a QA1 k frame? I'm interested in hearing about geometry issues, weight difference over stock, installation issues(strut rod fitment) or any other pros and con's. The price is very reasonable so it scares me.

$694.97 is reasonable??? :thatswck:

Have jimmy box your's out for you. Mine was done years ago and saved a bunch of weight. QA1 is a very nice piece for sure, nice looking too.

- - - Updated - - -

That would be very reasonable if it knocked 150 lbs off the front.

Only thing that's going to knock off 150 lbs.off the front is what I just did. Can you say KB Aluminum block?

Have jimmy box your's out for you. Mine was done years ago and saved a bunch of weight. QA1 is a very nice piece for sure, nice looking too.

- - - Updated - - -

Only thing that's going to knock off 150 lbs.off the front is what I just did. Can you say KB Aluminum block?

I do not speak your language!

I think the issue is that qa1 is really an upgraded version of oem equipment. Some of the others like magnum force, etc. save a lot of weight because they're complete redesigns. That weight savings includes lightweight brake components as well.

That's kind of what I thought.

I've had the original Capps Automotive pieces on a few B-Bodies,
I didn't care about weight really, I knew it was lighter & more room,
less weight with tubular stuff alum. stuff everywhere & the battery in the right rear trunk,
it'll have much better front end travel & much lighter on the nose to change weight bias,
toward the rear...

I now have a QA1 K-Member now, $585 IIRC {I still need to install, some day when I feel like it}
shipped directly from QA1, I purchased thru Summit Racing {no shipping costs/best price}
I now have a QA1 K-member,
SPC Upper Control Arms {adjustable on the car}
& the original Capps Automotive {still new in the box} Lower Control arms
QA1 makes them too, even with the sway bar tabs on them
also a Uni-Steer rear steer rack-in-pinion, I bought years ago from Year One,
that is already on my 68 RR
{I would not recommend it thou severely limits your oil pan & header choices}
I'm making custom step, rear exit, with Flowmaster Scavenger 4-2-1 collectors headers anyway...

I like the tubular design more for,
the room for headers,
more room for oil pans,
more front suspension freedom of movement
much cleaner appearance/style than stamped OEM stuff etc.
than the any actual weight savings,
IIRC it was like 70#'s to go to all tubular front pieces, K-member & both upper & Lower control arms
& Drag style lightweight Wilwood disc's & a rack-in-pinion box
more if you ditch the heavy torsion bars & go to coil-overs, it's like 100#'s off the nose
you have to modify the lower control arm mounts,
because the torsion bar will no longer be in & hold the LCA's forward...

Attachments

• MRE QA1 tubular lower control arm.jpg
    MRE QA1 tubular lower control arm.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 189
  • MRE SPC Fully adjustable Upper Control arms $240 each.jpg
    MRE SPC Fully adjustable Upper Control arms $240 each.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 226
  • QA1 Mopar B-E body K-member 52315.jpg
    QA1 Mopar B-E body K-member 52315.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 202
  • Unisteer 68-72 B-Body Power Rack & Pinion Black.jpg
    Unisteer 68-72 B-Body Power Rack & Pinion Black.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 234
  • Magnumforce Racing  front coil over conversion complete MFR161048-6 $599.jpg
    Magnumforce Racing front coil over conversion complete MFR161048-6 $599.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 208
You can a stock one done to less than 30lbs. As I remember mine weighs 20-25lbs now. Cut, weld, bondo,( it's got to look good), paint. Also lost another 10lbs making the strut rods and steering shaft from .750" X.093" moly tubing
Doug

Attachments

• S28.jpg
    S28.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 248
  • S29.jpg
    S29.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 232
  • S34.jpg
    S34.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 242
  • S40.jpg