• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question About Locking Cap For Flip Top

Don67Satellite

Local time
3:43 AM
Reaction score
I'm curious for anyone with a 67 GTX or Belvedere/Satellite with one of the flip top caps, if you have one of these as your locking cap? I have one of these but haven't installed the flip top yet. When I went to look how the lock would fit the filler, the lock seems too small for the neck on the Satellite, like it would fall right down inside. Were these for the Chargers/Challengers only or have I just got a sloppy old filler neck?

MP700140.JPG

One of the only pics I can find on the net of it actually inside a filler neck of a flip top, and what my filler neck looks like with it.

Not sure if somehow the trim ring plays a role here? The first photo looks like a flush, snug fit inside the top of the neck, but that isn't happening on my '67.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=80456.jpg IMG_0124.jpg

Won’t fit the neck, and it won’t fit with a GTX cap either. So 2 times over it won’t work

So then I will ask, if this is incompatible with the '67 flip tops as a locking cap, there has to be something that some of you are using to keep your fuel fillers secure. Alternative caps that work under the flip top welcomed.

:popcorn:

The situation is that the rubber spacer to fill the gap between the stock filler neck and the aluminum trim ring on the GTX cap cover the front lip and uses the two tang slots in the filler neck to locate and retain itself. So with the GTX cap the face of the filler neck is covered and there is nothing for a secondary cap to grab onto and retain itself.

see the parts of the system below.

ECB56B20-E650-42A7-B738-5D3B5870CC5B.jpeg C0DD81BF-D960-474C-89FE-14D90ED77D0E.jpeg B2874807-4818-44FA-BFE5-A7B8F8EEDDC3.jpeg

The situation is that the rubber spacer to fill the gap between the stock filler neck and the aluminum trim ring on the GTX cap cover the front lip and uses the two tang slots in the filler neck to locate and retain itself. So with the GTX cap the face of the filler neck is covered and there is nothing for a secondary cap to grab onto and retain itself.

see the parts of the system below.

View attachment 1221727 View attachment 1221728 View attachment 1221729

Thanks very much for the replies. Do appreciate all the info @R413 :thankyou:

As my mounting kit with the trim ring/bracket & gasket actually arrived today, the other glaring issue is that while the lock is too small for the neck itself, once the kit is mounted, the lock is too BIG to fit through the hole in the GTX trim ring, on top of the other things that @R413 mentions. Pretty impressed with Jeff @ 521Restorations as he has offered no hassles return as he was also unaware of the compatibility issue. So now for those who come along after me and might be wondering, it don't fit!!! :cursin:

Auto Transport Service
Back