• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick reverse/low piston A&A billet question..

icetech

Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys, started working on my trans tonight, got everything cleaned, new seals and rings good to go.. I got a A&A Billet reverse piston (had one blow out the retainer once years ago, never want that again) Problem is they send it in pieces and the directions sheet with it is so faded i can't read it.

It has something about saving a spring and that's bout all i can see. I don't get why the piston comes without the clip holding it already installed...

It also says "Reuse this spring" the tiny one inside the piston, but the kit came with a brand new one?
1694564381518.jpeg

What servo kit is it? Looks like those hand written instructions were for a certain persons build. Best to call A&A In the morning.

What servo kit is it? Looks like those hand written instructions were for a certain persons build. Best to call A&A In the morning.
yeah... was just hoping someone had a good copy of the directions.. it's the 62-66 low/reverse piston kit, no directions the site either. Will give them a call..

Not sure whats going on. Better to be safe than sorry. But the piston can be serviced with the rest all together. My take on the clip at least on the later models is to hold everything in the case. In this order. 1- piston with seal, 2-spring, 3- top retainer, 4- spring clip to lock it in the case bore.

Yup, that would seem normal.. but the directions talk bout using one of the original springs.. and it just makes no sense at all
Not sure whats going on. Better to be safe than sorry. But the piston can be serviced with the rest all together. My take on the clip at least on the later models is to hold everything in the case. In this order. 1- piston with seal, 2-spring, 3- top retainer, 4- spring clip to lock it in the case bore

Yup, that would seem normal.. but the directions talk bout using one of the original springs.. and it just makes no sense at all
Was all the verbage on the instructions hand written?

Was all the verbage on the instructions hand written?
yeah, and it looks like copied from a copy of a copy so i don't think it was a mistake to add it, also the circlip for the small spring in the piston is taped to the sheet, seems odd they would send it without assembling it if there was nothing else to do to it.

yeah, and it looks like copied from a copy of a copy so i don't think it was a mistake to add it, also the circlip for the small spring in the piston is taped to the sheet, seems odd they would send it without assembling it if there was nothing else to do to it.
The more I think about it, it becomes clear. That OEM spring must be a non critical wear component. So that's why they send it un-asembled expecting you to use your old spring. They expect you to use it along with the rest that they sent.

I am not overly familiar with the older pre 67 versions. That why I said call them. What parts you have look to be for a 67 and newer with that small clip.

YES.......call A & A transmissions and ask directly and/or ask them to email a new installation sheet.....ASK THE QUESTION DIRECTLY......IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, ASK AGAIN.......
BOB RENTON

The more I think about it, it becomes clear. That OEM spring must be a non critical wear component. So that's why they send it un-asembled expecting you to use your old spring. They expect you to use it along with the rest that they sent.
They send the exact spring and you can't run 2... i think the directions are old and they didn't used to send that spring is the thing..

just a FYI, someone in shipping sent me the small spring and they weren't supposed to.. i was supposed to use the stock spring.. so i got the bonus plan :) Nick was great on the phone as always

Auto Transport Service
Back