• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random steering shaft leak

Moparnocar

Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
1967 charger, 383. I've had the LF jacked up for a few days, and it seems the input shaft is leaking bad, never leaked bad before. Is it because it's jacked up? Is the seal easily replaced? Hoping not to replace whole thing, thanks!

IMG_20220817_124749831.jpg

I did see that, I'm wondering also if this has happened to anyone w the car jacked up on one side, not running?

When mine sits, no leak. When I steer it, it weeps. Suspecting may be time for a rebuild sometime soon.
The leak when it’s jacked up on left side? That’s a new one for me. The input shaft has some play in it to begin with. Jacking it up on the one side only may add some additional pressure the shaft via the steering linkage. May have had a failing seal to begin with and this position only magnifies that.

I’d roll with it for now and keep an eye on it. Get ahead and get a rebuild kit in hand. If it becomes recurring it’s time to do a little surgery on that pump.

Auto Transport Service
Back