• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear bucket seat backs

RedBeard

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:59 AM
Reaction score
Would like to know how some re-upholstered the rear seat backs. The metal tabs to connect the vinyl tend to break off and was wondering what alternative methods were used to attach. I have a "plan" but seeing what others came up with.
1676580277895.jpeg

I had similar issues when recovering mine. One side was good, I was able to reuse all of the original tabs, but the other seat was in rough shape.
What I did on the back panel was to drill a small hole and wire the cover down using a thin loop of wire, twisted at the end to secure it in place like a hog ring. The wire was thin enough not to cause any issues. The same seat had broken tabs on top as well, but that was an easy fix. I simply used a few small hex head sheet metal screws the hold down the fabric . The screw heads were between the raised ribs at the top, so they didn't interfere with anything.
Sorry, no pic's unfortunately...

The finished product turned out well however :thumbsup:

IMG_5095.JPG

IMG_5100.JPG

IMGP2466.JPG

I had similar issues when recovering mine. One side was good, I was able to reuse all of the original tabs, but the other seat was in rough shape.
What I did on the back panel was to drill a small hole and wire the cover down using a thin loop of wire, twisted at the end to secure it in place like a hog ring. The wire was thin enough not to cause any issues. The same seat had broken tabs on top as well, but that was an easy fix. I simply used a few small hex head sheet metal screws the hold down the fabric . The screw heads were between the raised ribs at the top, so they didn't interfere with anything.
Sorry, no pic's unfortunately...

The finished product turned out well however :thumbsup:

View attachment 1423047
View attachment 1423048
View attachment 1423049
Looks good. I ended up using 3/4 inch S hooks. Inserted a flexible listing cord into the folds on the vinyl cover to give more strength. Then used the S hook like a hog ring and then hooked into the spot were the broken tab was. Had to drill a small hole in most to insert the hook. Will have pictures when done.

That'll do it... as long as the hooks don't sit up high enough to interfere with the installation of the carpet assembly and trim, you're good to go.

That'll do it... as long as the hooks don't sit up high enough to interfere with the installation of the carpet assembly and trim, you're good to go.
Was a thought I had too. A cardboard spacer goes down first then the carpet so it will clear the hooks ok.

Would like to know how some re-upholstered the rear seat backs. The metal tabs to connect the vinyl tend to break off and was wondering what alternative methods were used to attach. I have a "plan" but seeing what others came up with.
View attachment 1419024
We just finished our 66 with pearl white and used aluminum pop rivets with washers

Auto Transport Service
Back