• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear end swap

cplshakyjake

Local time
4:43 AM
Reaction score
I just bought a 67 New Yorker donor car for my 69 charger. It has a 440 motor 727 tranny and 8 3/4 rear end. I was hoping to use all three. I currently have the 7 1/4 rear end. Can this 8 3/4 easily fit in the charger? Also, will that be a better rear end than what I have?

69 charger width drum to drum is 60 1/8"
67 chrysler 61 3/4". So the wheel is 13/16" out per side.
Leaf springs perches are out 1" per side on the chrysler.
Certainly can be made to fit. Move the spring perches in, run a wheel with more backspacing.
The 67 chrysler 8 3/4 is not a direct bolt in because the spring perches are to wide, but it should have larger 11" brake drums. You will need to buy new perches or cut them off and move them.
7 1/4 is pretty anemic. It's tiny next to a 8 3/4 and there isn't near as much aftermarket parts available.

Use the engine & trans and possibly the brake drums or center section (gears), but you are WAY better off finding an 8-3/4" rear end that bolts right in from a b-body

New perches are easy to find, ebay, speedway, summit racing. Etc. My preference is dealing with Cass at Dr. diff to buy differential parts, he has perches as well. I have cut the old ones off and rewelded, the last couple narrowed rearends I bought new perches.
If it were mine I would also try to find a b body housing and use the parts mentioned. But it depends on your plans. If you get a rim with more back spacing...your likely the only person that would know...its a c body rear under your 69.

You will also need the shock mount plates from the 8 3/4 due to 7 1/4 rears use 2 1/2" axle tubes.
My opinion though is to find a 66-70 B body rear end. They usually aren't very expensive. The 1967 New Yorker rear end is a bolt in swap for the full size Forward Look cars from 1957-up to get away from tapered axles with pressed on drums. So there is still a market for them.

Was your Charger a Slant Six car? I have never seen a 7 1/4" rear end in a Charger. If you need a 8 3/4" , you are better off to get one from a B-body, rather than screw around with perches, and end up with wrong width anyway.

Was your Charger a Slant Six car? I have never seen a 7 1/4" rear end in a Charger. If you need a 8 3/4" , you are better off to get one from a B-body, rather than screw around with perches, and end up with wrong width anyway.
Maybe I'm wrong with identifying. My brother has my car in another state doing my body work. I will ask him to confirm. I do know it is a 318 car according to vin.

I owned a 71 318 Charger that came with a 7-1/4". I wish I still had that car

Y'know ... If you use that rear end under the Charger you'd probably be able to run late model 20" wheels (due to the offset)

I'd mock up the axle the OP has.

Might work just fine and save him a cool G note or more.

The 67 B body 8 3/4 I put in my duster was 1.5" wider.

It did change the track, but not enough to need different offset wheels.

Perhaps the Charger does not have quite as generous wheel wells but I bet they are close.

Auto Transport Service
Back