• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear steel wheel center cover identification help

shawn880

Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
Good evening, everyone. I have acquired a 65' Coronet with 15"steel wheels front/rear. The fronts appear to be police style and have the same style center caps. The rears look similar but are also 15" and have a larger opening in the middle. The front caps are too small for the rears. I've also noticed the rears have three threaded holes in a triangular pattern (I'm guessing to bolt caps to?) Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Shawn

front.jpeg

rear wheel.jpg

Your rears are the older style rims that takes the bigger diameter dog dish caps.
The fronts are the newer style rims with the smaller dog dish caps.

in 67/68 Mopar changed from 10 inch caps to 9 inch.

Finding 15" 10 inch cap wheels is extremely rare.

My bet (and judging by the look of the front, esp the squared off area below the bead) is that all 4 are aftermarket.

Rear wheels look to be of the Ford nature , because of the raised part inbetween the lug holes and looks like someone drilled holes for screws , to make a way for a 9 inch cap to attach to those wheels.
As was said 10 inch dog dish cap wheels are hard to find , unless you have a pair of my wheel centers and get them made into 15 inch wheels.

Frank

OK, I thought the pics were of the front.

I revise my opinion that the fronts could be OEM (but post 1967) if they are 14" and take a 9" cap.

I sand by my guess that the rears are aftermarket.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I was able to get some new, matching tires today and I got some numbers off the rear wheels. 158JJ CW are the markings on the inside of the rim. This mismatched stuff is driving me nuts. At least I got some new rubber on her now and they all match!
IMG_3982.jpg
IMG_3983.jpg

These are 14" x 5" wheels from early to mid 60's Mopar. They came off of a 6 cylinder 66 Coronet. They fit the larger dog dish caps.

image000000 (2).jpg

i ordered 10 1/4 dog dish covers and they wont fit. back to the drawing board. they almost fit, but wont snap over that third notch.
The pic of your rear wheels don't look like the Mopar wheels. They are probably from another manufacturer that used the same bolt pattern. I know AMC cars had the pattern. Ford had the same pattern, but the center holes were smaller. I know this may sound far fetched, but I once let a buddy borrow a couple of Mopar wheels to use on his old foreign pickup. The bolt pattern was the same. I don't remember if it was a Toyota or a Datsun. (This was way back in 1978.)

The pic of your rear wheels don't look like the Mopar wheels. They are probably from another manufacturer that used the same bolt pattern. I know AMC cars had the pattern. Ford had the same pattern, but the center holes were smaller. I know this may sound far fetched, but I once let a buddy borrow a couple of Mopar wheels to use on his old foreign pickup. The bolt pattern was the same. I don't remember if it was a Toyota or a Datsun. (This was way back in 1978.)
no telling. im on a mission at this point and will figure it out sooner or later. I did look up the rim number until i was blue in the face and it appears to be a 15 inch, with 4 inch backspace basic steel hot rod type wheel. 4.5x5 if i recall. whatever the bolt pattern is. i just want to find two caps that fit.

no telling. im on a mission at this point and will figure it out sooner or later. I did look up the rim number until i was blue in the face and it appears to be a 15 inch, with 4 inch backspace basic steel hot rod type wheel. 4.5x5 if i recall. whatever the bolt pattern is. i just want to find two caps that fit.

You won't find a matching set of four caps with those wheels. You can find the newer wheels for the rear that uses the smaller cap like on the front. '66 on up. Or find the older wheels for the front and use the 10" caps. The rear wheels you have now might be an oddball just by a little that won't let you get the ones you found installed.

Google whatever year dog dish caps for Dodge to help you make your decision.

I have these '66 Dodge 9" caps on my '62 Dodge because I'm using the newer wheel. There's all kinds to choose from. I would think you would want to stick with Dodge.

20220929_212946.jpg

BTW Nice looking ride you have :thumbsup:

Awesome find Kid! Those 9 inch caps are pretty tough to find! I have done the poverty cap/wheel dilemma for the correct look on the older B Body. Can be costly.

Auto Transport Service
Back