• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remove Steering Linkage Just To Replace Oil Pan Gasket?

bobfake

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:38 AM
Reaction score
Hi all…quick question…

I want to replace the oil pan gasket on my ‘68 383 Super Bee. Is there enough room to lower the pan, remove the old gasket and install a new one without having to drop the steering linkage?

(Photo not mine but similar)

IMG_1899.jpeg

Thanks!
Bob

You just need to disconnect one end of the center link and swing it out of the way

Pull the bolt out that mounts the idler arm & it'll give you enough room to get the pan out..... Though honestly it's easier if you also pop the passenger side tierod loose...

I had agreed, but it can be done at least on a 67 Charger. In 1991, made a trip to Aurora Missouri with our 440. Thing had a gas smell and would lose power on hard acceleration.
Got home found out we had a crack in the fuel line by the pump. Solved the fuel smell. Still had problems under acceleration at the strip.
A friend said change your fuel pump rod. It was worn down.
TO ANSWER your question.
Car was sitting on gravel in the backyard.
I removed the fuel pump. The nut, pulled the pump rod out and dropped the nut into the pan. Went to the guy’s at the Dodge dealer and asked if I could do it in the driveway, so I managed to drop the pan get the nut out and re gasket the pan.
Wouldn’t be able to do that now.
That’s the story as I remember it.
Dropping the link would most likely be best for you.

Good luck getting the gasket around the oil pump pickup….
You need to pull the pan out. To do that, the idler and pitman connections to the center link should come off.

Not sure what the concern is. It is extremely easy to pop one side and swing it out. No adjustments necessary to reinstall. And makes the job very simple. It adds 10 minutes to the job. Spend more time posting on the site.

It also may help to rotate the engine to TDC area on #1 so the front crank throw is up and not down.

Not sure what the concern is. It is extremely easy to pop one side and swing it out. No adjustments necessary to reinstall. And makes the job very simple. It adds 10 minutes to the job. Spend more time posting on the site.

Auto Transport Service
Back