• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing and re-fitting harmonic balancer, tips?

Aussie Coronet

Local time
6:13 AM
Reaction score
About to do this for the first time, I've never done this before on any engine so would appreciate some advice.

I don't know much about them but am pretty sure they are pretty critical to balancing the engine/crank (?) which is pretty obvious but also the timing, hence the timing marks on them.

I assume its important that it goes back onto the engine in exactly the same position that it was when I took it off so as to keep all the timing marks correct but what happens if I make a mistake and it goes on in a different spot?

Any tips on potential issues during removal and fit would also be great. I'm just going to use a standard 'harmonic balancer removal' tool, which looks similar to a steering wheel puller.

Heres the beast in question,

p1030779s.jpg
[/IMG]

The balancer and crankshaft is keyed so it goes back on the same way it came off.......

Hey mate, don't stress, there is a keyway in the harmonic and a key in the crank snout that make getting it wrong impossible. A good harmonic balancer puller will have no probs getting it off..

Awesome, thanks guys. I do recall seeing the keyway now that you mention it and the penny has dropped. =-)

Yeah, I don't know how they go, I just drive em'! ;)

Auto Transport Service
Back