• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing the Parking Brake Cable Grommet

JR_Charger

Local time
3:16 PM
Reaction score
06_emergency_brake_cable_grommet_broken_tab2.JPG

One of the tabs on the original is broke. I've got a new part but how do you get that cable loose so the part can go over it?

06_emergency_brake_cable_grommet_cable.JPG

I pried the end piece out of its bracket, but this fastener that holds the cable to the parking brake assembly doesn't want to budge. How does this thing come loose?

06_emergency_brake_cable_01.JPG

It turns out this doesn't snap into place like the cable does on the drum end, although it looks similar. I got a screwdriver under that lip and pried it out enough to get a little prybar under it, then used a little sledgehammer to knock it loose.

With that out, it's clear that DMT's parking brake grommet can't be installed from this end.

I pulled the other end off of the bracket it goes into, very easy, but there's another fastener attaching the cable to a crossmember -

06_emergency_brake_cable_02.JPG

06_emergency_brake_cable_03.JPG

Clearly the DMT grommet won't be sliding on from this end either.

My next thought was that the grommet must be put on the cable when it is manufactured, but here's a new Raybestos cable without a grommet -

06_emergency_brake_cable_04.JPG

oh_bother.jpg

O.K., if the grommet is heated and lubed will it slip over that lip? I can't see any other way to do it. It seems like there would be a metal ring inside, connecting the prongs that snap onto the firewall/fenderwell, but I cut the old one and there wasn't.

I installed a DMT grommet over that ebrake fitting. Use some grease. I didn’t need to heat it. If needed, use a socket or a socket extension that will gradually enlarge the grommet hole as you slide it, until it’s equal or a little larger diameter than the ebrake fitting. It should snap over the fitting onto the cable sheath. The grommet may be inverted at that point but sliding it back and the forward into position should restore it to the correct position. Make sure the cable and everything has line on it.

I installed a DMT grommet over that ebrake fitting. Use some grease. I didn’t need to heat it. If needed, use a socket or a socket extension that will gradually enlarge the grommet hole as you slide it, until it’s equal or a little larger diameter than the ebrake fitting. It should snap over the fitting onto the cable sheath. The grommet may be inverted at that point but sliding it back and the forward into position should restore it to the correct position. Make sure the cable and everything has line on it.

Has "line" on it?

Spell check sorry. Has lube on it, lol

Thanks, that worked! I used that trick on the torsion bar boots, but I didn't think the grommet had enough stretch in it to go over the cable end. It's now installed and the parking brake is reconnected.

For anyone trying this, note that one of the prongs on the grommet is different than the others. That one goes to the bottom. The cable will press downwards and lock it in place. If you try any other orientation, the cable will pull the grommet out.

I’m about to do this. Hope it works.
Inline tube sent a push in grommet, not a prong type.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back