• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replating non console 70 hurst pistol grip handle - slip fit

wwheel

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:27 AM
Reaction score
Wanting to use my original slip fit pistol grip handle but needs replating. Apparently only the bolt on repros are available. I sent the original handle to a chrome plater but they cannot guarantee that the "Hurst" emboss won't be filled in. Does anybody have any tricks or hints that can be used when replating the handle and still retain the Hurst letters?

Thank you!

Mostly tell them to minimize the buffing around the letters... But more important than that tell them to not buff at all around the bayonet mount, if they round off the sharp edges the shifter will pull out at the most in-opportune time...

Wanting to use my original slip fit pistol grip handle but needs replating. Apparently only the bolt on repros are available. I sent the original handle to a chrome plater but they cannot guarantee that the "Hurst" emboss won't be filled in. Does anybody have any tricks or hints that can be used when replating the handle and still retain the Hurst letters?

Thank you!

They'll know what to do.

Brewer's did a console 70' shifter handle for me.

1000% perfect in every way - HURST letters came out great.
Trust them- perfectionists!

Bill

Oh man thanks for the responses! Great thought about the sharp edges and didn't think about that. In fact looking into this, I didn't even know there was a bolt on version of this stick. Things you learn as you go.

I have bought tons of stuff from Brewer's but didn't know they would replate your handle. I will call them today! The plater is use tends to overplate some and was afraid they would wreck the letters. I was going to go to another local shop who does more of an industrial plating and the finish is never as good.

I am installing the vent windows frames I rebuilt from Tony's kit and all the qtr and door window hardware. OMG what a job. I saw the handle in one of the boxes and thought better get that done while I have it out. The shifter box was already rebuilt from Hurst years ago.

Thanks again!

Contacted Brewers and they have a plater that can do a fantastic job. Thanks for the tip.

And cheaper than a repro. As you know, they don't offer a slip fit repro anyway. So I guess the question is why is the bolted repro version offered and not the slip fit? Is the slip fit a so-so design while the bolted is superior? I already have my shift box rebuilt and is a slip fit, so I will be going wit that. Just curious.

Auto Transport Service
Back