• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reputable Transmission Shop in Western PA?

rumcustom

Local time
12:14 AM
Reaction score
Sorry but I’ve been away for a while on other projects. Looking for a reputable trans shop in western Pennsylvania to rebuild my 727 along with some upgrades like bolt-in sprag (for starters). This is the original transmission to my car (1969). I’d be looking for the shop to be much more knowlegable than me on what to suggest to do to the transmission for upgrades. This will be for street use behind a slightly over stock 383 in a 69 charger. It will be subjected to occasional stupid stuff like burnouts and hard driving. I prefer not to ship it, so I’m looking for a shop within say 100 miles of Butler, PA. Does anyone local have any recommendations?

Thanks

i just had my 727 rebuilt by pro built transmissions in lyndora (butler). they were recommended to me. i haven't installed it yet, waiting for spring. it's a small shop and they seemed very knowledgable.

I hope the trans shop you pick knows how many 727 internal parts combo's Mopar used and for which application. The bolt in sprag is sure not the first thing I'd be interested in.

The 727 with a 3.8 front servo lever covers many applications. With the stock servo spring combination it is good for most mid/mild applications. Use a good front band, red Raybestos or Turbo Action Birch Bark. 12 springs in the front drum. I prefer the 4-pinion planetary both front and rear, but others differ. My 727's went about three thousand runs. No failures. I did use the 5.0 lever on most. I would not do that again.

Thanks everyone. And thanks for the advice 66satellite47.

I've been friends with Stan for 20 years. I just put a new one of his in my car today. He did my last one 20 years ago.

Is Stan Seader a reputable guy? Are his transmissions what he says they say they are? Thanks

Sorry but I’ve been away for a while on other projects. Looking for a reputable trans shop in western Pennsylvania to rebuild my 727 along with some upgrades like bolt-in sprag (for starters). This is the original transmission to my car (1969). I’d be looking for the shop to be much more knowlegable than me on what to suggest to do to the transmission for upgrades. This will be for street use behind a slightly over stock 383 in a 69 charger. It will be subjected to occasional stupid stuff like burnouts and hard driving. I prefer not to ship it, so I’m looking for a shop within say 100 miles of Butler, PA. Does anyone local have any recommendations?

Thanks
Suggest that you contact Wally Allen at Allen Drive Line in Herman Pa. He is a MOPAR RESTORER and has access to many MOPAR NOS parts thru Jim Kramer.
422 Rennick Road, Butler Pa 16002
1-724-282-4003
He is an expert in all aspects of Mopar....he has rebuilt the A833 trans in my '70 PLYMOUTH GTX RS23V0A******, installed a new clutch assembly, rebuilt the Dana 60.
Jim Kramers info:
Kramer Automotive Specialties. P.O. Box 5. Herman, PA 16039. PH: 724.285.5566. FX: 724.285.8898. Email: [email protected].
Perhaps these may help in your quest.....just a thought.....
BOB RENTON

Suggest that you contact Wally Allen at Allen Drive Line in Herman Pa. He is a MOPAR RESTORER and has access to many MOPAR NOS parts thru Jim Kramer.
1-724-282-4003
He is an expert in all aspects of Mopar....he has rebuilt the A833 trans in my '70 PLYMOUTH GTX RS23V0A******, installed a new clutch assembly, rebuilt the Dana 60.
Jim Kramers info:
Kramer Automotive Specialties. P.O. Box 5. Herman, PA 16039. PH: 724.285.5566. FX: 724.285.8898. Email: [email protected].
BOB RENTON
Thanks Bob. I know both Wally and JW Kramer. I actually live within 10 minutes of both of them. The Kramers have some cars with real history over there and plenty of parts. Walley does some amazing work and always has great looking customer cars in his shop. I had some rears done by him in the past and didn't realize that he was rebuilding transmissions. Thanks again.

Thanks Bob. I know both Wally and JW Kramer. I actually live within 10 minutes of both of them. The Kramers have some cars with real history over there and plenty of parts. Walley does some amazing work and always has great looking customer cars in his shop. I had some rears done by him in the past and didn't realize that he was rebuilding transmissions. Thanks again.
Yes....jim Kramer has some really unique stuff....2 A990 altered wheel base cars plus tons of NOS stuff. Use to have a jet plane in the yard. Wally Allen had an origional '68 Hemi, Super Bee I think...maybe an R/T, that was stolen at a Chryslers at Carlyle show.....which he later recovered....down south somewhere, and the only damage was the ignition switch punched out....but the Hemi and 4 speed trans and Dana.60 (3.54:1 ratio) was intact....a true numbers matching car.....I believe it was Plum Crazy color.....he bought it back for the insurance payout.....He also had a '68 340 Duster convertible 4 speed car with Factory A/C f....which he had for sale at the Franklin Apple Festival a few years back....not sure if this show was presented the past few years due to covid....
Anyway.....I now live in Decatur Illinois....use to live in Monroeville Pa, South of Butler, slightly East of Pittsburgh .....I still have the RS23V0A****** GTX, which I've owned for 30+ years.....be safe in your endeavours and travels....CHEERS.....
BOB RENTON

1-724-282-4003
Jim Kramers info:
BOB RENTON
know both these guys. good advice.

Auto Transport Service
Back