• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rubber bumper confusion

vegiguy

Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
Did 73 B-bodies have rubber bumpers on both the fuel filler door AND the lower rear valance under the fuel filler door? I ordered what was caller "license plate bumpers" and these clearly fit the 1/4" holes in the middle of the plate door (not the holes in the corners for the plastic push in nuts) because they are too big for the 3/16" hole in the lower valance. I'm wondering why you need bumpers there, especially big ones like these that are fairly thick since that would just make the license plate bow out in the middle. Once the plate is screwed to the door it doesn't look like it would rattle against it.

Where you really need the bumpers is in the valance so the fuel door has something to rest against when it springs shut. Does anyone sell the right bumpers for the 3/16" holes in the valance by themselves? All I can find listed in the Classic Industries catalog call "fuel door bumpers" is for E-bodies. They do have sets of rubber bumpers for B-bodies that includes the fuel door bumpers but I don't need a set since I already bought a set somewhere else that didn't include either of these bumpers.

Here is a picture of from my 73 Road Runner as it came from the factory (I'm the original owner). No bumpers in the fuel door, 2 bumpers in the valence. Hope this helps.

PXL_20211201_175744430.jpg

Here is a picture of from my 73 Road Runner as it came from the factory (I'm the original owner). No bumpers in the fuel door, 2 bumpers in the valence. Hope this helps.

View attachment 1201620
Yes, that's is helpful. I found some bumpers Dorman had that fit the holes in the valance and seemed like the right height. They look similar to what yours looks like. I went ahead and put the larger bumpers I got from classic Industries on the door under the license plate since they fit the holes on it, but I may remove them since you mentioned your car didn't have them. I doubt if Chrysler would have used parts on their cars - no matter how small - that they didn't think they were absolutely necessary.

Auto Transport Service
Back