• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scarebird Rear Brake Conversion 72 Charger 8 1/4

JR_Charger

Local time
1:57 AM
Reaction score
I think I've got the bracket on right, found a pic of it this way on an a-body, but the caliper isn't going to line up with the rotor -

scarebird_brake_install_11.JPG

Anyone got a pic of how this is supposed to go?

I'm also not liking the way that brake line is not anywhere near where it has to go. I might be able to get it there, but it will also have to twist down 90 degrees. The other side looks like it will be even more difficult.

There's a fifth hole in the Scarebird bracket, where there is no stud on the axle flange -

scarebird_brake_install_06.JPG

Scarebird includes a nut and bolt that look like they could go here. Am I supposed to drill a hole in the axle flange?

About the calipers, is this retainer clip installed correctly -

scarebird_brake_install_08.JPG

Maybe it is, but it doesn't look right.

They say nothing, NOTHING, about the orientation of the calipers or the brackets, other than that the calipers go to the rear.

They say nothing, NOTHING, about the orientation of the calipers or the brackets, other than that the calipers go to the rear.
That there tells me that you most likely have bought a problem. I do not even see them on their web site. How long ago did you buy them? Have you installed the axle to see how everything fits. As far as the line goes you can expect to have to find a flex hose and mount it along with making a new line. Thats if the caliper and the rest all fit.

It looks like Scarebird updated the design.

The new version uses Thunderbird rear calipers (doesn't say what year, would be nice to know) instead of Eldorado/Riviera/Toronado calipers (from 85 IIRC).

Here's a pic of the version I have on an A-Body -

scarebird_bracket.JPG

I found a video with a similar kit from a different manufacturer -

And another one with an Inline Tube kit -

Comments say this guy mounted his calipers upside down, which means I have to. Should be like the ones in the first video.

I'll watch the videos and see what I can learn.

edit --

O.K., fifth hole on the bottom, not used in my application. I was worried about bearings, but it looks like I'm fine for now. Still not sure about the seals but I haven't had any leaks under my axle so they may be good. I think I can put things back together.

Last edited:
scarebird_brake_install_12.JPG

There we go. I wonder if the factory parking brake cables will reach? That's be fantastic.

Anyone know a source for the axle flange studs? I've got a couple I'd like to replace. Instructions for how to do it would be good too.

I would junk those brackets and find something that does work.

I figured them out. I think they're better than the other designs in the video I posted. The Scarebird brackets are one piece, the others are two pieces bolted together.

Late to the party, and glad
you got 'er figured out.
Just as a future reference,
Jeeps' bolt flange pattern
on their D35 is almost
identical to Mopars 8-1/4.
This would allow for a far
greater selection of
available kits to convert.
20220410_233255.jpg

Last edited:
I "plan" to upgrade to a post 97 8 1/4, or something else stronger, in the future. The way things are going, who knows what will happen? I don't want to invest any more into the pre-97 8 1/4, but I don't want it to keep me running drum brakes either. Thankfully, it seems I've got most things figured out with the Scarebird brake conversion now. I've just got to get the hard brake lines re-routed.

Auto Transport Service
Back