• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shackle bushing replacement

MO.RR

Local time
9:44 AM
Reaction score
Espo springs going in until I get to shackle bushings in frame. Shackle pins are bigger than the bushings in it and they have a steel sleeve. Bushings that came with new springs don’t have sleeves. First, how do the original bushings come out? Second, do the new bushings need sleeves?
B038433D-8760-4468-AA04-B31BE66FC2C1.jpeg

OE bushings did not use a sleeve, they are just rubber bushings pushed into the frame cavity. Use a socket or something to drive the sleeve out, and pliers or something to get the old rubber bushings out. Install new rubber bushings into the frame and install shackles.

Ok, replaced bushings got everything together and tightened down. Now the passenger side looks like is bowed to the inside. Front bracket and leaf bolt all lined up good. Old hanger was fine and looked pretty straight when I put the new hanger in. The picture is after all is tightened down.
64D0234B-643E-4A9C-944B-69F3DF723CA4.jpeg

You smashed the inner bushing into the spring, not allowing the outer bushing to completely go in.

Yep, unfortunately you need to take that one back apart.

What would make the spring push to the inside though?

You sure you didn't snap that shackle bolt tightening it up.. as it looks too wide apart period..
beerestoration2017 1851.JPG

That’s the ones espo sent me for the application. I took it back apart and tried it sprung and unsprung and beat the tar out of the spring with a deadblow to the outside. I got it looking a lot better but the still is a cant to the shackle and the spring isn’t centered to the frame(see the last picture I posted).

Put a little wd-40 on the bushings and push them in the frame and spring.

Slide the front spring bolts in.
Leave the u-bolts off or lose, but put the rearend on the spring pins.
Slip the rear shackles in and tighten down.
Tighten the front bolt.
Put the u-bolts on and torque.

Auto Transport Service
Back