• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter recommendations

jprather

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:13 PM
Reaction score
currently have a B & M ratchet shifter, something broke inside, now stuck in 1st gear , any suggestions on replacement?
72 charger 383 / 727

this was a column shift car, what is involved in converting to slap stick.. I have been told have I to weld in some brackets ?

not sure i want to get into all of that

I have been using a Hurst Quarter Stick for the past 24 years. My 69 roadrunner is factory auto floor shift with console. I was able to fab a plate and bolt it on the factory shifter mounting bracket and then I bolted the Quarter Stick to the fabbed plate. It is not a factory slap stick but is a solid shifter that has saved my 727TF many more times than I will ever know.

Last edited:
Converting to a Slap Stick does require a couple brackets to be welded in the tunnel and the complete mechanism and the bracket on the tailshaft. Not sure what the other options require for mounting.

If you really wanted to bolt the brackets in, you could.

I'd drill through a small locating hole from the top when they are in correct position, but if I was using self taping bolts, I'd go from underneath to tap the thicker (than the floor pan) bracket.

Winters. Bulletproof for fifty years, half the price of a Turbo Action. (Which is essentially the same shifter.) Torqueflite specific, not one size fits all. Forward or reverse patterns available.
Edit: this from somebody that has two B&M ratchets, and loves them.
Pull the cover off your ratchet. I'm guessing a spring broke. Easy fix.

Last edited:
I did pull the cover off, the plate that connects the cable to the shifter is broken cant see how it goes together

this is what broke - suggestions to fix?? would like to " patch it up" till I can do the full slap shift convert, i think the 3 little tack weld broke ??

20220210_153116.jpg
20220210_153122.jpg
20220210_153136.jpg

I lied, its a TC shifter
Okay. THATS why I didn't recognize it! Pop it out of the car, and get it welded back up. Make sure the cable isn't hooked up when welding, and also make sure the cable works freely. Frozen/overheated cable might have caused the weld failure.

Winters. Bulletproof for fifty years, half the price of a Turbo Action. (Which is essentially the same shifter.) Torqueflite specific, not one size fits all. Forward or reverse patterns available.
Edit: this from somebody that has two B&M ratchets, and loves them.
Pull the cover off your ratchet. I'm guessing a spring broke. Easy fix.
Second on the Winters. We'll built and good
customer service.
IMG_20210616_220402.jpg
20200414_131257.jpg

@1STMP, is the Winters a rear entry cable? If so, that is another positive recommendation. I think my T/A was a rear entry, but I changed to a ratchet, and I don't remember for sure.

@1STMP, is the Winters a rear entry cable? If so, that is another positive recommendation. I think my T/A was a rear entry, but I changed to a ratchet, and I don't remember for sure.
Yes it is. We'll should be well....
Dang auto correct...

so, I ordered the Sidewinder , the shifter cable that is in the car is VERY stiff, doesnt want to move at all, jus change the whole thing !

I opted for the flush mount which requires
different side plates on the shifter assembly.
The shifter normally is shipped with a plastic
mounting console and a very stiff 5' cable.
I've read where some have had difficulties
routing the cable because in needs to make a
U-turn at the rear of the transmission, but were
able to work the problems out. Adjusting the
cable for proper shift points can be tricky.

I opted for the flush mount which requires
different side plates on the shifter assembly.
The shifter normally is shipped with a plastic
mounting console and a very stiff 5' cable.
I've read where some have had difficulties
routing the cable because in needs to make a
U-turn at the rear of the transmission, but were
able to work the problems out. Adjusting the
cable for proper shift points can be tricky.
yea, that part worries me, the one thats in there is adjusted very well

Auto Transport Service
Back