• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shorten 1966 manual steering shaft to fit PS box - anyone do this?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:46 AM
Reaction score
Planning to swap the manual steering over to power steering in my 66 Satellite with the one year only column. I’m trying to locate a proper shaft but not having much luck. I noticed on the Steer and Gear site they offer a complete conversion kit which has a note, instructions included on how to shorten the manual steering shaft. Has anyone done this? Is it pretty straightforward? I have a drill press, cutoff tool and discs and a hydraulic press.

Is the PS coupler different on the splined side, than a manual steering coupler.

Thanks

Lower coupler body is different Im almost certain.

Does the 66 even Have a 2 piece main shaft that can be shortened like later ones?

Ps, how soon do you plan to do this conversion.

I did that conversion to my 66 Belvedere. The coupler is different between the manual and power, they are different sizes. My Belvedere had a solid 1 piece shaft. Pulling the column is the easiest way to shorten the shaft. After I installed the power box I did a lot of measuring of the manual and power boxes to determine how much I had to cut from the shaft. After cutting I put the proper flats on the shaft with a 4 inch grinder and drilled the hole for the pin. Get the new coupler first, it will be used for your measurement process.
Good luck, Jerry

Lower coupler body is different Im almost certain.

Does the 66 even Have a 2 piece main shaft that can be shortened like later ones?
The 66 shaft is one solid piece. Hard to tell how unique it is as the column is not even show or detailed in the 66 FSM. In the 67 manual it is.
I did that conversion to my 66 Belvedere. The coupler is different between the manual and power, they are different sizes. My Belvedere had a solid 1 piece shaft. Pulling the column is the easiest way to shorten the shaft. After I installed the power box I did a lot of measuring of the manual and power boxes to determine how much I had to cut from the shaft. After cutting I put the proper flats on the shaft with a 4 inch grinder and drilled the hole for the pin. Get the new coupler first, it will be used for your measurement process.
Good luck, Jerry
Thanks. I’ll keep modifying mine as a fall back plan if I can’t come up with a good 66 PS shaft. Seems my wtb ad has turned up a couple more prospects.

You may want to try Wild Cat Auto Wreckers in Oregon.
Large Mopar yard. I have bought and had very good luck with them.
They may have a P.S. shaft that you need. Just a thought.

Auto Transport Service
Back