• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I replace this tail panel or not? *rust pics*

lochenjons

Local time
11:58 AM
Reaction score
I have a build thread but I figured I'd reach a wider audience here asking this question.

Wire wheeling and media blasting some problem areas on the rear of the car I found some of this stuff:
IMG-3584.jpg

IMG-3585.jpg

some tiny pinholes: I can weld these up
IMG-3586.jpg

the worst side is the passenger side: this is right to the right of the tail lights.
IMG-3587.jpg

Don't know why this image got flipped but this is right above the last picture on the passenger side of the car,
IMG-3588.jpg

Holes in the back lower quarter.
IMG-3589.jpg

Other than those problem areas I can honestly say that the quarters are in excellent shape inside and out (minus the seams on the B-pillar). I really want to replace the least amount of sheet metal as possible. Would this be a doable job from a body shop?

Reason I ask is I cut the trunk floor pan out and I wanted to por-15 the entire inside of the rear quarters and tail panel before I put the trunk pan back in, But if this panel needs to be replaced then I'm going to be delayed in putting the trunk pan in because it gets welded to the tail panel.....

Really hoping to por-15 everything right now, put the trunk pan in, take it to a body shop when I get it painted, and have them deal with all the small rust spots without replacing sheet metal.
Here's a link to my build thread: https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...harger-diy-build.160034/page-4#post-911159946
Your thoughts?

I think it is fixable but if you have the money do it right. I did not have funds and thats why I sold my charger-Stupid me

I would remove the panel at the spot welds. Then patch all the rust spots on the original panel. This way you can clean and patch/repair the rust between the layers of sheet metal. I would repair the original panel, the reproduction panel is not very accurate around tail light openings.

A competent body shop would be able to fabricate the sheet metal, not going to be cheap.

I always like to keep as much of the original steel as possible with small patches until it becomes obvious that a complete replacement panel would make sense if the integrity of the repair would be unacceptable or un-safe. Finding a good body shop with the craftsmanship that these repairs require will probably be the hardest decision you'll have to make, the rest is up to you on how much you're willing to pay. These kind of repairs can add up quick.

I would remove the panel at the spot welds. Then patch all the rust spots on the original panel. This way you can clean and patch/repair the rust between the layers of sheet metal. I would repair the original panel, the reproduction panel is not very accurate around tail light openings.
I agree with 69b3rt! The only thing I would recommend is, after removing the panel, get it blasted!
You will be amazed at the areas you thought were ok, and after blasting, those same areas look like swiss cheese! The blasting will find any areas were the metal is thin from rust.

Thanks for the feedback. I wire wheeled sand blasted inside and out after I took those pictures and put some por15 on all the problem areas since it’s going to be a while since I can get to any of that body work. I just don’t want it rusting further in this California rain.

I agree with 69b3rt! The only thing I would recommend is, after removing the panel, get it blasted!
You will be amazed at the areas you thought were ok, and after blasting, those same areas look like swiss cheese! The blasting will find any areas were the metal is thin from rust.

I'm trying to not remove the panel... yet... unless I have to. I agree with you that its the best way to do it. But my plan is just to wire wheel/blast everything down to bare metal and see how bad it is. If it's just those areas I have no problem paying a good restoration shop to fix/patch those. If I find more sketchy areas then I will probably just take the whole panel out like you suggested. I really want to leave it in place though.

Auto Transport Service
Back