• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small block Chevy Jeep

Yup. Advance Adaptors in Paso Robles Ca. Or you could do like I did on my father in laws 86 CJ7. Put a 5.2 [318] in it with EFI.

I have used Advance Adapters and Novak Conversions out of Logan Ut , Both are good . Do some research about complete drivetrain compatibility , some combos work a lot better than others . My '49 cj3a has 4.3 v6 , th350 , custom dana 44's , 6 inch body/frame extension etc.....
20200804_165447.jpg
20200804_161426.jpg

Building jeeps is an easy rabbit hole to go down......I put a 318 in my wrangler with mostly stock off the shelf parts. I called advanced adaptors and asked them if they offered a mopar conversion kit , they said no. then about a year later I saw them offering one. I beat them to it. all stock parts. dont use a chevy motor its been done to death

When I did the 86, had to make up my own front mounts. Trans was easy. The Jeep had a 4.2 [258] with a 904, so I got a different case for it. Didn't have to mess with driveshafts.

@ckessel Were you around pismo during the late 70s early 80s ? There were a bunch of us from Santa Barbara that hit the dunes every holiday weekend . We had all variety of vehicles , mine was 1974 Dodge W200 - 440 stroked to 481 cid , 6 pack rods , 9.0 arias pistons ported 906 hds 2.14 & 1.81 valves , .570 solid cam , Harlan Sharp rockers , Torker with 800 double pumper , Direct connection " Hemi converter " TF727 , paddles in the rear etc ... Jay Roach (RIP) in Montecito welded and offset ground the crank and Rich Ryola ( spelling ? ) in Santa Maria did the final machine work .
DSCN2676.JPG
DSCN2625.JPG
Oh yea .. we were also the originators of the " Pismo State Beach Dune Patrol " . I Didn't want anyone thinking that my GMC in my flatfender made me a total traitor .

I'm going through decision making process now. I'd like to do a Gen3 swap, the numbers aren't out there like LS combos.

Hey Fury what year and model of jeep are looking at swapping into ?

Building jeeps is an easy rabbit hole to go down......I put a 318 in my wrangler with mostly stock off the shelf parts. I called advanced adaptors and asked them if they offered a mopar conversion kit , they said no. then about a year later I saw them offering one. I beat them to it. all stock parts. dont use a chevy motor its been done to death
Not to hijack this thread, but I have a 318 with a 46 RH out of a 94 Dakota that I'd like to stuff in my wife's 99 TJ. Anyone know if this might be a really bad idea, or is it doable, without a lot of pain and swearing? The motor in the TJ now is the 4 cylinder, and that little turd wagon couldn't pull your hat off your head...

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a 318 with a 46 RH out of a 94 Dakota that I'd like to stuff in my wife's 99 TJ. Anyone know if this might be a really bad idea, or is it doable, without a lot of pain and swearing? The motor in the TJ now is the 4 cylinder, and that little turd wagon couldn't pull your hat off your head...
Right down the rabbit hole....

It was fairly straight forward. The cj had the 4.2 with a 904 behind it. Had it re-cased [rebuilt too]. That kept me out of the driveshaft and adaptor fun since from the trans back, nothing changed.

photo.JPG
Image03302013174857.jpg

The CJ has an AMC 360 (straight bolt in).
The TJ has the 4.0
Just my opinion, but I like keeping the
bloodlines pure. A lot less expense and
fabrication when upgrading engines.

Auto Transport Service
Back