• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer

Bro4297

Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I want to first start to thank all of you. I have learn a lot about my 77 Cordoba through your input. My speedometer needle is stuck on 10 mph, but my odometer works fine. What would be you guys prognosis?

Hammer Adjustment.......... :hello2:

Grease is too hard more than likely, making the speedo assy stick. Remove, clean, lube, then re-install.

You could use some assembly lube. It is light, and you only need a small amount on the pivots. Some light machine oil could work too.

Last edited:
You could use some assembly lube. It is light, and you only need a small amount on the pivots. Some light machine oil could work too.

I read on a forum that sewing machine oil is good for lubricating the speedo head. I need to try this myself when I install the 140 speedo.

Ok, here you go: I used to run a speedometer repair facility. Chrysler speedos for the most part are none repairable due to them being riveted together. There are a few specialty shops around the US that can repair them. I can provide sources if you need them. As to lubrication be very careful when doing this. There are adapters out there designed to connect to the speedometer cables which then allow you to use a grease gun to lubricate the cable. Please never do this. What happens is 99.9% of the time too much grease is injected to the cable. The grease will then be pulled down the speedometer chain and then pack it into it's terminating end. If this is the transmission no problem. If it is at the cruise control or speedometer head big problem. What happens when the grease gets into the speedometer or cruise control the grease will apply pressure to the speed cup and thus force it into the needle section of the component. This will usually result in the death of the cruise control but for the speedometer head it will cause the magnetic assembly to collide with the needle assembly and then what you will see if you happen to be looking at the needle when this happens is: the needle will suddenly will spin around and around until it either strikes the stop post or until it tears the clock spring inside. The needle will usually be torn from it's shaft at this time. Either way it is now destroyed. As to lubrication: light weight oil such as three n' one may be applied to the inside of the cup (must be disassembled) and you may also apply it to the input side of the speedo (the portion where the cable attaches). As for you cables: remove the cables form the car is easiest but not necessary. Remove the chains from the cable housings and clean out the housing very, very well. Then take the chains and while holding both ends roll the cable between your fingers and watch the rotation of the chain if it is smooth then you can proceed with cleaning, if not (bad chain is 99.9% of the time the cause for a bouncing speedometer) purchase a new chain (you can get chain at most parts stores). After cleaning or purchasing we always used AC Delco speedometer chain lube and mixed I with a small amount of engine oil. You just need to apply a light coating on the chain with the grease and the while holding the chain up squirt a few drops of oil at the top of the chain and wipe down. Reinstall your chains and you will have a smooth speedometer operation. Hope this helps you out if not PM me and I will help you out, I'm just up the road from you.

My odometer still works. Does that help anybody to figure out the speedometer problems?

Auto Transport Service
Back