• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

spray on chrome for dash and small parts.

Rebelrouser

Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
I am not needed perfect restoration, just building a resto-rod 65 coronet with a gen 3 hemi to drive. You guys that have restored your own dashes and small parts using spray paint type chrome what brands did you have the best luck with? I have used a couple but it has been a few years, probably something new that is better.

I am not needed perfect restoration, just building a resto-rod 65 coronet with a gen 3 hemi to drive. You guys that have restored your own dashes and small parts using spray paint type chrome what brands did you have the best luck with? I have used a couple but it has been a few years, probably something new that is better.
Check this thread on FABO especially post#19 What have you used to chrome the plastic?

Hobby Lobby
DE26D82E-C962-480E-BB97-A5F86AB5CF91.jpeg

Molotov liquid chrome pens are very good for diy as seen in post #4 and #5. I think you can also buy it in small bottles and shoot it though an airbrush.

Molotov liquid chrome pens are very good for diy as seen in post #4 and #5. I think you can also buy it in small bottles and shoot it though an airbrush.
That would be cool if you could get it in bottles. I’d buy some. Lol

I have had very good results doing dashboards with the Molotow pens. In my opinion, they show more reflectivity than any other paint I have ever seen. I do not have the skill and patience to mask an instrument cluster to then be able to spray only the chrome areas. This is where, in my experience, the chrome pens work well, because the way that I do it I spray the entire cluster Landau black, and then I do the chrome areas with the pen freehand.
As far as spray paint goes, the best I have come across is this product made by Montana. I painted the bike motor with it.

That would be cool if you could get it in bottles. I’d buy some. Lol
The pens are designed to be refillable. I haven’t bought any in a while, but a few years back there were bottles with just the paint in them that were used to refill the pens. Those refill bottles could be used with a spray gun, or if you bought a pen, you could just take the top off of it and put the paint from the pen into the spraygun.
SEM Landau black is the exact shade used by Mopar on their instrument panels. I am told SEM is the only one licensed to produce it.
Here’s a cluster I did with the Landau black paint, Molotow chrome pen, and white paint marker for the lettering.
I am no expert, these are my opinions, your results may vary

IMG_2635.jpeg

IMG_2636.jpeg

IMG_2637.jpeg

IMG_2638.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back