• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter thread bolt holes stripped in bell housing - fix?

70SunFun

Local time
12:42 AM
Reaction score
In my 1970 Challenger 383 four-speed the two starter bolt holes in the aluminum bell housing are stripped. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thanks.

I used a pair of longer allen head cap screws once. A heli-coil is hard to do in place.

I used a pair of longer allen head cap screws once. A heli-coil is hard to do in place.
Thanks, I may try that. You're right that a helicoil is hard to do in place. I was trying to avoid removing the bell housing to do the helicoil repair.

Usually they strip because some one used a short bolt.
Take a good look at the back of the bolt hole, see if there's any threads left. If there is, find a bolt long enough to go through completely, and carefully tighten up

Take a good look at the back of the bolt hole, see if there's any threads left. If there is, find a bolt long enough to go through completely, and carefully tighten up
Excellent info. The current bolts are about 1-1/2 inches long so I don't know if a 1-5/8 or 1-3/4 length will work. Thanks again.

To be clear I threaded the cap screw through what was left of the thread and put a nut on it from the other side. I don't think there was room for a washer.
Worked good.
I later had the housing out and put it in a mill and did heli-coils.

Thanks. I already dropped the car back down on the garage floor and can't see the bolt holes from the top side. I'll have to jack it up again to look underneath to see if the holes go through completely. I'm hoping they do.

To be clear I threaded the cap screw through what was left of the thread and put a nut on it from the other side. I don't think there was room for a washer.
Worked good.
I later had the housing out and put it in a mill and did heli-coils.
Yes, thanks. If the holes go all the way through, I will do your suggestion. Hoping to avoid taking out the housing but I might have to.

Thank you.
I retapped the holes which go all of the way through, used longer bolts but had to use slightly smaller diameter ones due to very limited bolt head clearance due to the rounded profile of the bell housing being very close to the holes. Also used washers, and lock washers. Thank you all for the informative information. It's fixed (for now, lol!)!

I think most that don't use the proper stud, are like me..... I can't move the starter onto the stud because the headers are in the way. The stud is leaving before the headers do.....

Auto Transport Service
Back