• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering column alignment

Don Trombley

Local time
4:18 AM
Reaction score
I bought a Borgeson power steering box and connector kit from Bergman Auto Craft and now I’m putting the steering column back in my 67 Charger. The column mounting plate that bolts to the inside of the firewall doesn’t seem to line up right. The bolts are not centered and I can’t push the column any farther down. Anyone have an issue like this or idea about what could be wrong?
8FB97E5D-B900-4278-80F0-5CA9F2284FC6.jpeg

Is the coupler bottoming out?
Thanks for the reply. No I don’t think the coupler is bottomed. It measured about 5/8” to the gauge hole …. a bit tight. Should be 13/16”, but won’t go there. I’m wondering if the collapsible shaft is pulled out a bit. The mounting plate seems flush with the firewall.

Thanks for the reply. No I don’t think the coupler is bottomed. It measured about 5/8” to the gauge hole …. a bit tight. Should be 13/16”, but won’t go there. I’m wondering if the collapsible shaft is pulled out a bit. The mounting plate seems flush with the firewall.
The shaft has to be the right length. To long and it will prevent the column from being aligned correctly.If this is the case the coupler would have to be bottomed out.

Auto Transport Service
Back