• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Coupler Question

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
So on a 67 B Body ( GTX), I need a steering coupler as the gear has the one fat spline but the coupler that was beat in place did not. I noticed Tony’s Parts is selling a new repop but states it is power steering only. Is that spline the only difference or is there something else?

Different coupler between the 2 and not interchangeable
I think both spline count and size

thinking outside of the box here.....do you have a dremel bit long enough to just gouge out one of the splines on your coupler? It doesn't have to be perfect. There's a bunch of splines to hold the steering shaft.

thinking outside of the box here.....do you have a dremel bit long enough to just gouge out one of the splines on your coupler? It doesn't have to be perfect. There's a bunch of splines to hold the steering shaft.
actually I thought to do the same thing, as a rule I'm against boogering things up to make fit, I feel just as guilty as the person that hammered this one home.

@dan juhasz my 67 coronet parts car has power steering. If you want the coupler I can mail it to you after Christmas. If you want it, PM me your mailing address.

The manual steering box is larger in the splined area and there are more splines. The power steering cars used a smaller input shaft on the steering box.
The difference in size mat not be immediately evident. I made the mistake of putting a manual coupler on a P/S column and was amazed when it slipped onto the steering box easier than any other I've ever done. I was under the car hooking up the steering linkage and pushed a tire one way to line things up. I heard a grinding noise and realized the mismatched splines were grinding each other.
Ooops.

I bought an aftermarket coupler for power steering that did not have a master spline. Went on easily, but was wobbly in the mesh which translated back to the steering wheel as loose steering. I soaked my OEM unit in evapo-rust and installed new shoes. Steering is now tight. Maybe I got a bad part, but if at all possible, I like the OEM parts.

Does anyone know if this part number is for a manual or power gear? It’s a nos piece on eBay 3579521

My 67 parts catalog lists 2800 705 coupler housing for manual steering and 2800 706 for power steering. These may interchange with other p/n's.

Auto Transport Service
Back