• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering shaft length

Eric F

Local time
5:39 AM
Reaction score
1970 Road Runner. I’m doing a manual to power steering conversion. How much shorter is the steering shaft from the manual to power steering. I’m using a stock coupler. I know I’m gonna probably get crap for not using a Borgenson but their spline is 11/16 36. The steering gear im using is a 5/8 36. I was going to use the 5/8 36 x 3/4 universal joint for Chrysler. Borgenson stated I need some type of dampener or rag joint to stop the steering shock?

The manual one is longer by like 4" if I remember right.

I swapped over a 71 runner to p/s and just pushed the shaft in, bolted the p/s box down and hooked them up. It was pretty simple, as far as I remember

On 1969 models, power steering shaft is 41.5" and the manual shafts are 44.5". I would think they were the same in 1970? Maybe not though as the key moved to the column in 70, and things may have changed.

Auto Transport Service
Back