• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel exchange...

Ritchie Valens

Local time
1:14 AM
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I own a '71 Roadrunner. I recently got a plain "Plymouth" steering wheel (photo provided below) that has a way nicer grip than my current steering wheel which has grip tape around it. I would like to swap out the wheels so I don't have to use the grip tape anymore.

However, my current wheel has the center Roadrunner emblem, which I would like to keep (photo provided below). My question is, will I be able to swap out the center portions of the wheels?

If so, how do I detach the center portion of the wheel? I believe the inside of the wheels have three plastic inserts to attach the centers. Can I just use a pry-tool to detach it? Last questions is, does anyone know if the plain "Plymouth" wheel has the same wiring to make sure I can still use my Roadrunner beep-beep horn?

I tell ya guys, I sure am glad to have your help. Would be nice if there was a Youtube channel or some type of manuals for small simple jobs like this. Most YouTube vids and manuals are for major jobs. I do have a mechanic who works exclusively on classics, but I sure would like to do these "small" jobs myself. Oh well, just
venting haha! Thanks everyone!!

~Ritchie

Unknown-7.jpeg
Unknown-8.jpeg

Small clip on each (3) ends . Carefully pry up with small screw driver. Do the replacement one first ! So you get the hang of it

Thanks Rat Rod Al... What about the outer center portion of the wheel? The new wheel has a little piece that is broken off. I can live with it, but if I can swap that piece out also, I will. I added the photo where the piece is broken. I'm guessing the way to remove that center portion, I would have to take out the three screws?

Unknown-9.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back