• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Still can't get the alignment right!!!

eagleone1983

Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
Ok I need some advice on what the heck might be going on with my car (69 RR). I took it in to get aligned a while back and they said they couldn't get the passenger front aligned because of possible frame damage. So I take it to a frame shop and they straighten my frame (at least that's what they tell me any how). Well my alignment it still bad on the passenger front, just camber and caster. Now during this ordeal the frame shop bent my strut rod which has since been replaced but while I had the bent strut rod the alignment shop was able to align the car with in specs. Now that the strut rod has been replaced though I'm back to square one. The frame shop thinks it is the K-member/engine cradle that is not allowing the alignment to take place. So what are my options? Do I buy a new K-member if I can find one? I'm pretty sure I can't just get the one I have repaired. Please help, my first resto isn't going very smoothly.

Not sure how the K frame could keep it from aligning unless the hole where the LCA goes in is out of whack. If anything the shock tower might be tweaked. There are offset upper control bushings available which might help.

Ok maybe I'll try that but it sucks because I just got done rebuilding the whole front end. Well at least now I know what everybody was talking about when they say you'll learn a whole bunch more words in your garage. I'm also going to have to fix my oil pressure...I finally got on a gauge and it reads zero at idle with a fully hot engine and only about 25-30 driving down the road at 40mph.

Not good on the oil pressure. Good thing is on a big block the oil pump is external and can be changed in no time.

Ok maybe I'll try that but it sucks because I just got done rebuilding the whole front end. Well at least now I know what everybody was talking about when they say you'll learn a whole bunch more words in your garage. I'm also going to have to fix my oil pressure...I finally got on a gauge and it reads zero at idle with a fully hot engine and only about 25-30 driving down the road at 40mph.

what kind of gauge are you running? If you have zero oil pressure and you've been running it like that then it's pretty safe to say your bearings are toast. Hopefully you have an eletric gauge and its just broken.

Mopower don't say that! LOL. I guess I can laugh at that because I have a 383 sitting on a stand. I have a mechanical guage installed if it were electrical I think my neighbor would have ripped it out when I wasn't looking. He's an old, country street racer and helps me out with my car from time to time. If my bearing are toast would I know it. So far I haven't heard any lifter noise and I was thinking about taking off my valve covers and crank the car real quick so I can actually see what the oil is doing or not doing.

Oh I forgot to ask the motor in the car is a 1978 400 chrysler block from who knows what car, would a oil pump from a 1968 383 be the same?

Well, I won't step in on the oil pressure issue, but I can help with the alignment stuff. As far as the K member goes it is very important that it's in alignment with the body. How a layperson can check this is relatively simple, and comparative measurements may be used. While a tram bar is generally used for this, a simple tape measure (as long as there are no obstacles in the way) can be used. The first comparative measurement will determine caster issues. Measure from the front torque box to the center of the ball joint. The hole you will use is the forward most hole on the front frame rail just at the base of the frame rail kickup near the lateral brace that secures the frame rail to the rocker panel. Measure carefully and accurately and compare your results for a length difference from side to side. With this SLA type suspension you need to be within .5 of a degree from side to side to have the car drive straight down the road. What that means in simple terms is your measurements should be within 1/8" from side to side. The other quick check is to do a diagonal measurement from those same points, left torque box to right BJ etc and compare. If there is a difference of more than 1/8" you will have alignment/ setback issues. If you suspect the front is compromised, go to the rear torque box area and measure forward to the front measuring point and compare. One thing about these old Mopars is the are symmetrical, and left to right comparative measurements can be used to help locate trouble. I have an old frame book at work and I will try and track it down for you today...There's a ton more info I could give you, but thats a good place to start

Awesome thank you so much. That frame book would really help since nobody around actually knows the dimensions. The frame shop has been measuring just from one side to the other like you said.

A big block oil pump is a big block oil pump. Regular, high volume, or high pressure are your choices.

Awesome thank you so much. That frame book would really help since nobody around actually knows the dimensions. The frame shop has been measuring just from one side to the other like you said.

PM me an email address and I will send you the spec's in a pdf format. The spec's I have are for the 66 Belv/Sat but should be the same through 1970 as the platform remained unchanged. can anyone offer any reasons why it would be different?
-Good luck eh!

Mopower don't say that! LOL. I guess I can laugh at that because I have a 383 sitting on a stand. I have a mechanical guage installed if it were electrical I think my neighbor would have ripped it out when I wasn't looking. He's an old, country street racer and helps me out with my car from time to time. If my bearing are toast would I know it. So far I haven't heard any lifter noise and I was thinking about taking off my valve covers and crank the car real quick so I can actually see what the oil is doing or not doing.

how long was it running with no oil pressure? It wouldnt hurt to drain the oil and see if you see any metal and cut the filter open as well. make sure the line to the gauge isn't leaking or anything just to make sure. I'm sure it's something little. Best of luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back