• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock 383 Engine Rebuild

milit73

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:04 PM
Reaction score
I am looking to rebuild my 1968 Superbee 383. This is the original engine and want to keep it stock with a nice cam. Any suggestions on good kits?

You need to find a reputable engine builder.

It depends on if it needs to be bored to a larger diameter piston.
It's possible it may be honed, rods checked and resized, crank checked, new bearings etc...
You might even be able to reuse the cam.
But a good builder can tell you what it needs and give you options to match your requirements.

I’d be interested in your old pistons if you bore it. As far as rebuild kits. I’m m partial to piecing mine together on summit. Make sure you get pistons with at least 1.920 compression height so you don’t lose a bunch of compression. I believe your factory ones measured 1.934

Thank you for the replies and I hope to start the teardown in the next month or so and will keep what I can as I really want to keep it reasonable as it will be a driver. I will update when I start the teardown!!

Auto Transport Service
Back