• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock Purist Tire/Wheel Opinions

mrmolding

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
Ok. So I bought brand new Kelsey FR70-14 Polyglas Radials for a really nice set of Road Wheels. Then I got a NOS road wheel and one more FR70-14 for a spare. Put them on my 70RR and drove for about 75 miles.
Build sheet calls out road wheels so pretty close to original.

Then came across OEM JJ 15x7 Rallye wheels and put BFGs all around in preparation for my 73. Life took a big turn and 73 is sold.
So, now I put the 15x7 rallyes on my 70 and it is a little meatier but not much ride difference.
Thinking about bringing the 70 road wheels to spring fling to sell. It is embarrassing that I probably have close to 3k in the road wheels.
Wanted opinions about how original these need to be or do I keep both for a rainy day? Normally I would keep both but trying to lighten my load.

IMG_5580.jpeg

IMG_5592.jpeg

When you are in the car hobby nothing is embarassing, well, if your front tire runs ahead of you on the highway, that's embarassing...if nobody gets hurt.

FR 70's are not for a show restoration correct would be F 70's or F 60's on a Superbird. If your driving and cruising in the car, go with the look you prefer.
20230405_114116.jpg

Pictured are the show tires on my 67 GTX. They ride and handle well, but radials ride and handle much better IMO. If you're not into concourse quality show cars, it's a waste of money and effort.
20230405_120107.jpg

Rallies really look great on a 70. Again just my opinion.

The road wheels and polyglas look so good!

now for the “you asked so don’t blame me section”
I don't like:
1) BFG tires (white letters gone brown yet?)
2) dark cone centers on a 1970 vehicle
3) reproduction trim rings

3 strikes so your 15x7’s are out.

The road wheels and polyglas look so good!

now for the “you asked so don’t blame me section”
I don't like:
1) BFG tires (white letters gone brown yet?)
2) dark cone centers on a 1970 vehicle
3) reproduction trim rings

3 strikes so your 15x7’s are out.
Ahh!!! Just drove it with 15x7s! Guess I’ll need another trip with the polyglas!

FR 70's are not for a show restoration correct would be F 70's or F 60's on a Superbird. If your driving and cruising in the car, go with the look you prefer. View attachment 1445583
Pictured are the show tires on my 67 GTX. They ride and handle well, but radials ride and handle much better IMO. If you're not into concourse quality show cars, it's a waste of money and effort. View attachment 1445587
Rallies really look great on a 70. Again just my opinion.
Thanks! I just loved the idea of a modern polyglas radial and I can’t complain. I found pics of my 70s/80s cars and it looks like they all had 14 road wheels. I’m 99% sure there was never a 15 road wheel in the 80s.

Wanted to post these from the old days. My 69rr just the hood, not a real six pack car, my 73 cuda, and my primer GTX. I loved those beasts! All with what looks like 14 road wheels. Hmm, maybe I’ve answered my original question!!!

IMG_5227.jpeg

IMG_5226.jpeg

IMG_5224.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back