• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stripe vs interior color options?

beeguy

Banned
Banned
Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score
I see for instance Plum Crazy cars with white srtipes and a black interior all the time, was this possible? I always thought except in a few colors and in special cases interior colors determined the color of the stripes. anyone know about this? I have my preferences on what I want but I don't want an obvious mistake.

Interior color had nothing to do with it. Since most stripes were black or white, it really didn't matter about the exterior color, but that wasn't always the case. I don't think you could get a red bee stripe on a red car. But you could on either black or white. I've seen black cars with black stripes, but never seen a white car with a white stripe. In the case of E bodies, there were other colors available as well....blue, pink, orange. And they were only available with certain exterior colors. I've even seen a white B body with black interior and a red stripe.

Interior didn't matter

My Hemi Orange car had a Black interior with a White stripe from the factory.

See what I mean:grin:

Darryl, you ever seen a white car with a white stripe?

it actually is a little more complicated than that... at least for third gens.

1971 Accent stripe

1974 stripe options. i think there must be a decoder ring for this one

you could get a white accent stripe on a white car in 74

See what I mean:grin:

Darryl, you ever seen a white car with a white stripe?

No, I have not, but if you wanted to order it, it would have been available in 1968 and 1969, but NOT in 1970.

I have factory Dodge Dealer Data, and Color and Upholstery Books for 1968, and Dodge Dealer Color and Upholstery Book for 1969. There is a 1970 page from the Dodge Dealer Color and Upholstery Book for the stripe availability here: http://andy440.com/1970j.htm that shows the stripe color for a white body was a black stripe.

Each year was slightly different. In 1968 it says that the stripe colors are red, black, and white. Any stripe with any exterior color.

In 1969 the same stripe colors were available but it then said that the stripe colors were "color keyed." The only color keying chart shown was for exterior-interior color and the assumption would have been that the stripe color would have been the same as the interior for this purpose. Oddly, the only color combination with the three stripe colors that would NOT have been allowed was a cream body color with a red stripe.

In 1970 per the chart linked above, blue and green stripes were added to the availability, but Dodge decided what stripe color was allowed with which exterior body color.

I have seen white cars with white stripes, but only on E-Bodies so far...

One of them is a 1970 EW1 A66 car coded for a white bumble bee stripe.

Auto Transport Service
Back