• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stripping

i agree with all of the points made. But i'm both 18 and enlisted in the navy. That leaves me with almost no money or time. Donny, your stuff is top notch, not a single question about it. But like previously stated, its not realistic for me to pay a bunch. I have a friend with an adequate set up. His father has been a painter and body man for his entire life, so i'm sure he is up for the tasks. Sure if it was realistic id send my car down to you tomorrow if it was possible. But some factors make is only possible to use local resources. respect to everyone on this site. everyone has a way that works for them and thats all that really matters.

I'm with you 100% as I too was enlisted -- in the Army, and know all too well that having time, funds and such is impossible at times! Remember, there's one thing that rotary disc sanding (or any sanding device) won't reveal whereas the media blasting will; weak metal areas.

zip strip.jpg

The real answer depends on how big your budget is, and how fast you want it done. If you're like me, working in your spare time, and hour or two there, not a lot of cash on hand, then this is what I'd recommend:

Mr B Body has it right, 7" buffer with 3M pad. I don't remember which 3M part number it was, but if you want to know, I'll check next time I'm over at my buddies shop. Pads are expensive ($20 bucks at the local Napa), but the buffer turns slow, and the pad lasts a long time, really, really hard to heat up the metal with a slow turning speed! We did 2 cars, a '68 GTX and '67 Dart with 3 pads.

For detailed work (works on factory paint, but not your best for epoxy paints), such as firewall, inner door panels, under the hood/trunk, etc. the big pad is a waste of time. Blasting may be ok for this, I don' t know, never tried. I used ZipStrip paint stripper from Ace Hardware and a SS or brass wire brush...leave the stripper on a while (20 min or more), the paint just melts off...a little scotch brite pad after that and you're ready to de-grease and spray primer.

Total cost to strip the outside body paint for 1 car is probably $100 in pads/stripper, and figure on maybe 8 hours labor. Highly detailed parts will take much, much more time.

Well I was busy typing my 1WPM and did't see your comment back. No offense taken. And I agree, you do good work Donny.

If your typing is only 1WPM, you should probably be using a professional to do your keyboard work. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back