• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspension for pro-touring like handling

I can't say what the upgraded stock units can do never drove them.,but I heard alot of good things about them. But my opinion with the RMS suspension I absolutely love it. No body roll and the power rack is awesome. That's why there is options. Your car your build. One guy likes one thing another guy likes the other. Good luck an post pics.....MOPAR
P.S. THE SCOWL IS A ROCKET SHIP

IMG_20140914_192319_352.jpg

I understand that when you market a product, you look for anything that can be described as a benefit for using your product. Two things I have read seem to be of very little merit:
*Better exhaust clearance!
Huh? With TTI, Dougs, Hedman, Hooker and a few others, finding a header to fit your car with a stock K member isn't that difficult.
*Suspension tunability!
Again, with Firm Feel, Hotchkis, Helwig, Koni, Bilstein, Fox, etc, tuning a stock based setup isn't difficult. Ride height changes are not hard. Changing shocks isn't difficult.
I do appreciate the precise steering feel that you get from a well designed rack and pinion setup. My 280,000 mile 2007 Ram 1500 still feels and steers tight. The stock classic Mopar power steering, even with Firm Feel stuff in there, still has some freeplay. The wifes 2015 Challenger R/T has R/P and feels great.
I would LOVE to pilfer some things from the newer cars to integrate into mine. The independent rear suspension for one. In the Challenger, I can throttle through bumpy turns and the car stays planted. The solid axle 70 Charger wants to step out when I hut a lot of bumps.
I'd love to install the fantastic 8 speed auto trans! The car rarely ever feels like it is in the wrong gear. My 07 Ram feels sluggish at part throttle quite often. The Challenger rarely does. That 4.7 1st gear ratio gets the car moving in a hurry.

I went with the TVS from hotchkis with sub-frame connectors & fox shocks, firm feel steering box & K-member upgrade kit they sell...the car handles great without breaking the bank...I don't like the throw a bunch of odd parts together and see if they work personally...Hotchkis does a lot of R&D with the parts making sure that they work together...just my .02

Im leaning towards the hotchkis setup - I'm not bad at wrenching but I'm terrible at modifying things and build things so a well designed system to bolt on is probably the route to go with the least headaches.

I see that the adjustable fox shocks are $780, non adjustable $550 and bilsteins are $440

Is it better to take the Hotchkis tuned fox shocks to go with the rest of the kit?

Im leaning towards the hotchkis setup - I'm not bad at wrenching but I'm terrible at modifying things and build things so a well designed system to bolt on is probably the route to go with the least headaches.

I see that the adjustable fox shocks are $780, non adjustable $550 and bilsteins are $440

Is it better to take the Hotchkis tuned fox shocks to go with the rest of the kit?
I just went with the adjustable fox...I think I prob. have less then 4K total in the suspension with sub-frame connectors and the added firm strong box with K-member upgrade and she is super tight...not to mention that I have a drop top...so with a hard top I can only imagine how much more stable it would be

I guess the main questions I need to ask myself are:
1) Do I need to lose weight? Nah - I'll just increase the power... j/k. It will not run any time attacks nor other racing than bracket racing and/or some night time activities which are quite frequent in Sweden. Those lost lbs won't really matter
2) Will I ever have the time to tinker around with ride height and rebound settings? Not likely. I had that on my LX car but never really used it. I had it perfectly dialed in and left it there
3) Is header clearance an issue? Not as it looks right now.

So - all answers points at beefed up stock suspension rather than Alterktion or Magnum force. Should I interpret your answers as "when it comes to pure handling and drivability the beefed up stock is close to what the kits give you if you're an average Joe who just likes to floor it from time to time?"

We went with ride tech 4 link and coil overs on front haven't driven yet but it just flat dropped the stance of our car.

If you want a modern car ride and feel, drive the modern car. Without spewing the whole parts list, mine has FF, subframe connectors, Bilsteins and on. Feels as good at triple digits as it does at 70. Adequate. Does not feel like my 09 Challenger. Because it's not my 09 Challenger. Personal preference as stated in a previous post. Nothing beats the neutral fee of a rear wheel drive car. The live axle in the 69 allows me to smoke the tires at will. New Challenger has wheelhop so pronounced you swear the car broke. Brutal. Yes, there is a fix called HopNot. Unless it's snowing, I'll drive the 69. Anytime, anywhere, any distance. San Jose never gets snow.

Auto Transport Service
Back