• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tapered Sure-Grip Questions

matthon

Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
64 2 door, slant 6, I believe it has a later version rear, regular axles, larger looking finned drums, Sure-Grip, tall gear.
Measured at 4' 3 3/16".

Too much gear for the slant 6, too much tire.

From a 62 Dart, I kept the open differential and tapered axles.
Housing is being used elsewhere, converted to non-tapered, measured that one for the heck of it, 4' 2". No idea if it was different before.

64 wagon has the original tapered axles and Sure-Grip.
I converted to 65 drums.
Measuring inbetween backing plates, wheels on, 4' 4 3/16".

My understanding is pre tapered rear ends have different length axles for open diff and sure grip.
Also, apparently the 64 housing is wider, not sure how that impacts the prior statement or the following questions.

With the parts I have:

Is it possible to swap the 62 open center into the later rear in the slant 6 car?

OR:

Is it possible to swap the 64 wagon tapered axle Sure-Grip center section into the later housing?
I would put this under the wagon.

And then place the 62 open center section into the 64 housing?
If so, with what axles?
I would put this under the slant 6 car.

Those are the only 2 scenarios I can think of, and after much research I'm not sure of anything.

Note: I tried those giant wheels on the back of the 2 door on the wagon, no go, but maybe with that 1" shorter later rear?

Thoughts?

20230806_200623.jpg

I can tell you in 1964 the taypered axels were the same, sure grip vs open. Earlier ones were different length. '64 was one of if not the widest axle housing in a B body. Most all 8 3/4 center sections can be swapped between housings.

Found the answer.

I wonder how a taller gear Sure-Grip will do behind the wagon's 318 auto?

Apparently that extra 1 inch of housing length will fit those 275/60/15s under that wagon. I measured the rear wheelwells on both cars and it's the same.

Debating swapping rearends between the two.

Found the answer.

I wonder how a taller gear Sure-Grip will do behind the wagon's 318 auto?

Apparently that extra 1 inch of housing length will fit those 275/60/15s under that wagon. I measured the rear wheelwells on both cars and it's the same.

Debating swapping rearends between the two.

If you were asking about rear axle ratio...My 1962 Plymouth Fury wagon (318 poy) has the stock tapered axle, and the gear ratio is 3.23.

Auto Transport Service
Back