• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dawg

Topher

Local time
1:22 PM
Reaction score
Doing some maintenance and minor repairs on the Ole Girl before cruising season sets in. Thinking of changing up the wheels which leads me into thinking I may want to upgrade the brakes. What's the best choice?

20220306_153912.jpg

I like the 1973 and up A-body disc brakes. Then all the parts can be bought from the parts store. Pads, rotors, hoses, bearings, rebuild kits, calipers, etc.

Assuming you have the stock drum system?
Get the "Cordoba" larger disk rotors.
Doctor Diff may have them or you can source them from the auto store.
15 inch rims are necessary.
He sells the newer aluminum style Chrysler master cylinder which is nice.
Mopar Aluminum Master Cylinder Kit

You didn't ask for opinions, but I like stock steel rims and dog dishes.
The car has enough bling on it already.
And steel is very durable.

Assuming you have the stock drum system?
Get the "Cordoba" larger disk rotors.
Doctor Diff may have them or you can source them from the auto store.
15 inch rims are necessary.
He sells the newer aluminum style Chrysler master cylinder which is nice.
Mopar Aluminum Master Cylinder Kit

You didn't ask for opinions, but I like stock steel rims and dog dishes.
The car has enough bling on it already.
And steel is very durable.
The car has the later model 11" rotors on the front now. I'd like to pretty them up. I like dog dishes too, but I don't want it to look like someone else's car either.

I would crank up the torsion bars in the front.
It will drive better.
As far as the wheels Id still like to adapt my original spinner caps to 15" steel wheels.
Unfortunately there is always something more urgent.

It will drive better.
As far as the wheels Id still like to adapt my original spinner caps to 15" steel wheels.
That's on the agenda. I'm tired of scooping gravel every time I leave the house

I think Summit or maybe even Coker offered a 15" wheel with a 14" ring welded/balanced to do exactly what you're wanting.

It will drive better.
Don, did you ever modify the spinner wheel covers to fit 15" wheels ? What was you plan ? What size wheels were you planning to use ? I've been thinking of doing this also. Found a post on moparts.com, where a guy said he put universal trim rings on his 15" wheels...then put 14" hub caps on..He said he has done it and it worked....can't say for sure.

I still run with drum brakes, dual MC / booster and brake components from Muscle Car Brakes. The ceramic shoes they sell perform quite well. It's an alternative to doing a total conversion that gives good results with little hassle. musclecarbrakes

Don, did you ever modify the spinner wheel covers to fit 15" wheels ? What was you plan ? What size wheels were you planning to use ? I've been thinking of doing this also. Found a post on moparts.com, where a guy said he put universal trim rings on his 15" wheels...then put 14" hub caps on..He said he has done it and it worked....can't say for sure.
The thought was similar use tapered trim rings cut down the 14" cap and tig weld it to a trim ring.
But no haven't got back to it.

Auto Transport Service
Back