• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The road trip that never happened

1 Wild R/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:32 AM
Reaction score
So those who followed Most comfortable classic to travel cross country. thread already saw most of this... As I mostly took screen shots to bring it over here...

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 8.29.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 8.30.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 8.30.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 8.30.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 8.31.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 8.31.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 8.32.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 8.33.22 AM.png

So, I guess next I'll post a few photos of the car...

IMG_7402.jpg
IMG_7403.jpg
IMG_7405.jpg
IMG_7404.jpg

More Later, I gotta go do a house project....

Sounds like a recent episode of Vice Grip Garage we saw. Derek did the old route 66 trip in an old square body Chevy truck and had similar challenges along the way. Even lost the tranny and had to get it rebuilt. But I'm guessing mid 80's Chevy truck parts are a whole lot more available than the old E-body you made the attempt in. I admire your attempt and it's inspiring to see. You'll get 'em next time man I'm sure.

So, when is the rescheduled date?
There is no re-scheduled date... I cheated & put it on a transport.... Until I can spend some time sorting out the intermittent overheat I didn't want to trust it crossing Texas,New Mexico & Arizona... But that leads me to something else I wanted to talk about... While preparing the car one thing I did was add a GPS Tracker... Which has allowed me to know exactly where the car was & that it didn't take a random turn south toward the border..... I'm very impressed how well the tracker works & I'd suggest more people get one..

IMG_1347.PNG
IMG_1348.PNG
IMG_1351.PNG
IMG_1353.PNG

There is no re-scheduled date... I cheated & put it on a transport.... Until I can spend some time sorting out the intermittent overheat I didn't want to trust it crossing Texas,New Mexico & Arizona... But that leads me to something else I wanted to talk about... While preparing the car one thing I did was add a GPS Tracker... Which has allowed me to know exactly where the car was & that it didn't take a random turn south toward the border..... I'm very impressed how well the tracker works & I'd suggest more people get one..

View attachment 1349551View attachment 1349552View attachment 1349553View attachment 1349554
Share the tracker info please. I'm interested.

The unit I have in this car I actually bought about a week before the world got locked down, I'd planned to take a trip in my other car & thought it might give me a little sense of security when parking at hotels & such...

Well with Covid going on I just threw it in a drawer & forgot about it... Then with this trip happening I threw it in the box I shipped out to Texas & while doing other stuff I found the time to hook up two wires & hide the tracker...

It's an Optimus GV50MA or something like that... $49 & $12 a month service fee, you can turn on or off the service at will..

If you lean on the car, I get an alert on my phone... Cut the battery cable? I get an alert & the tracker continues to work for about four hours on an internal battery... Currently the car is in an enclosed trailer and the tracker has no problem sending a signal, I've had it in a metal building & it worked, in a brick garage, not a problem....

Best of luck to ya brother! And I absolutely agree with your first screen-shot post!!

Best of luck getting the car back into good driving shape. Having had the pleasure of being in your other convertible Challenger, I may have to take another road trip to get a ride in your other one!!! :D

20220601_112340.jpg

Best of luck getting the car back into good driving shape. Having had the pleasure of being in your other convertible Challenger, I may have to take another road trip to get a ride in your other one!!! :D

View attachment 1351973
Your more than welcome anytime... I's certainly up to a local drive... New exhaust today.. I'm hoping that might help, you can hear an internal baffle fluttering, I think (want to believe) it shifts causing excessive back pressure...
I've popped a few freeze plugs & flushed the block, it's super clean inside after the vinegar flush, now I know theres no residue vinegar, changed the thermostat again, Flushed the radiator again, it flows extremely well... If the exhaust doesn't help I have a new aluminum radiator I might try, through I prefer the look of a stock radiator....

Auto Transport Service
Back