• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Classic Auto Air for non-ac car

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
5:23 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have one of their retrofit kits? I am like 20 miles from them, and might be able to get a deal through someone.

I would be interested in the full kit for non-ac cars. Has anyone made the swap? How does the controller look in the dash? Does it cool and heat well?

They claim to be better than vintage air.

Have had Classic for over 20 years. Ice cold. Mine used the old control box, stretched and sloppy cables. New units have an improved control box. Non ac car. Kept us alive in Reno in August many times.

I have the Classic in my 69 Charger and it works great. Mine is the older version that I ordered at the start of my build. The newer ones are better yet. I did buy it with the universal condenser and hose kit. So I built all my hoses to fit to my liking being I was installing a Hemi.

Have had Classic for over 20 years. Ice cold. Mine used the old control box, stretched and sloppy cables. New units have an improved control box. Non ac car. Kept us alive in Reno in August many times.
I live in Texas…and it’s got a decent part of the year. As cool as originality is, I think it’s worth doing the AC. And I like that these systems are discreet.

5C652C46-C391-41C1-A0C2-74CFBED7D829.jpeg

And this just looks nice.

I put CAA in my red car, an original A/C car. They provide block off plates for the firewall holes that the original A/C components used. To me, it looks like what it is...a "Band Aid".
For my other Charger, I welded in a NON A/C firewall section to make the CAA installation look cleaner when I eventually install a kit.

HVAC 50.jpg
HVAC N.jpg

Jigsaw FW 1.JPG

Jiggy F W 23.jpg

My car was a non A/C . Here are some earlier pictures. I changed a lot finishing things off.

100_1901.JPG

100_1902.JPG

100_1903.JPG

100_1900.JPG

100_1923.JPG

100_1922.JPG

100_1914.JPG

I used the Classic Air "Perfect Fit" system that I bought and installed in 2015. It's been ice cold and has worked great since then - no issues at all.

IMG_5115.JPG

IMG_4369.JPG

I see th3 Classic Auto Air HVAC box occupies the real estate under the center of the dash - where do cables for the floor vents go?

Floor vents?
There are vents along the middle. No cables needed there.

Floor vents?
There are vents along the middle. No cables needed there.

In 72, the fresh air vent by the driver's side kick panel, and the fresh air vent function in the non-AC heater box. There are two knobs under the ash tray that open and close those vents.

edit - this thread answers my question - the fresh air vent function gets deleted. Kind of a downer, but they can't stop me from rolling down the window.

In 72, the fresh air vent by the driver's side kick panel, and the fresh air vent function in the non-AC heater box. There are two knobs under the ash tray that open and close those vents.

edit - this thread answers my question - the fresh air vent function gets deleted. Kind of a downer, but they can't stop me from rolling down the window.
My 70 Road Runner has Classic Air, and the right hand side fresh air vent has a block off plate and is partially blocked by the heater. I believe this will be the same on any B-body.

For years, I have had an extra drivers side vent that I could maybe modify to fit on the passenger side. The vent would need to have maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of it removed and contoured to the shape of the heater control box.

I have never yet gotten a chance to try this project, so I'm not sure if my idea is genius or stupid. I haven't looked at it closely enough to see how practical it is and/or if the door in the vent could even work. But I figured I'd share my idea just in case it inspires someone...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back