• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tie rods and sleeves

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:58 AM
Reaction score
I should know this but here goes...
When installing an inner and outer tie rod end and the adjusting sleeve, which end attaches to the center link? The RH or LH threaded tie rod?

6 2020 X.JPG

I have my engine, trans, K member and everything out and am putting it all back together soon. I cleaned up all the parts but forgot to mark them for orientation.
My bonehead guess is that it doesn't matter but I wanted to make sure.

Put the tie rods together side by side. Do you see any difference ?

Therein lies the issue. One side is slightly longer than the other. I can probably look at my pictures and figure it out.
As long as the steering gets full travel left to right, it probably doesn't make any difference. The alignment guy just rotates the sleeves to set the toe and doesn't care if it has to rotate CW or CCW.

Looking at your photo (Nice sway bar) it looks like the LH thread is on the outboard side.

It does matter, if you are. Replacing one you need the correct threads. The only difference between inner and outer is the LH or RH threads on them.

look at the listing, LH threads are inners.

7E72846F-5A3D-4887-AB8F-1DBB3BA0091F.jpeg

Thanks guys....I LOVE learning new things.

It is a funny thing....I've worked on the 64-89 RWD Mopars for years and still have much to learn.

And for the rest of the guys who don't know, when installed both sides need to be the same length. This effects not only equal turns lock to lock but also effects bump steer.

In theory, I agree. My tires rub the frame rails before the steering box reaches it's full travel for either side.

In theory, I agree. My tires rub the frame rails before the steering box reaches it's full travel for either side.
I discovered mine do also just this last weekend with the front brake work I did - and they're just 15x7 Magnums
with 235/70's on them. Rims could use another 1/2" offset to the outside methinks...

I just replaced the outers... I had to use a left hand thread on the passenger side. I guess someone was in there before me. :D

I discovered mine do also just this last weekend with the front brake work I did - and they're just 15x7 Magnums
with 235/70's on them. Rims could use another 1/2" offset to the outside methinks...
Then you have to watch for the tire rubbing the front corner of the fender, better off having it hit the frame rail.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back