• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tool to check a Sure Grip

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
Ever come across a third member with a Sure Grip at a swap meet and it had a high price tag but no one could say if it was good or not or you don't trust their word? I've been burned before and didn't like that too much so I made these. Kind of a PITA to carry them around but dragging a parts wagon with ya makes life easier not to mention carrying a newly bought third member isn't exactly easier without a LRW
teu35.gif

Take two axles and cut them about 12" long or however long you want them and weld T's on them. I used 1" mild steel bar stock 28" long and the axle stubs are 12" long. Make sure the splines on each side are aligned on the SG unit. The splines are not a single piece. If they are aligned, insert the T's all the way in on each side. Stand it up and step on the T that's on the ground and try to twist the top one. If it's good, it'll be tough to twist it. If it's easy, it needs work. If a cone type SG is real easy, it's most likely junk inside and opening it up is the only way to tell if it's repairable or not. These are not made to act as a one wheel wonder and if they are used that way once they quit locking, they will become junk in short order. This pic is just the Sure Grip unit with the ring gear still on it but you can still check a complete third member this way....it's just a bit harder to handle.
rear17.jpg

Outstanding cranky! It seems incredibly simple, but I would have never thought of it.

I also use them when I build/repair/machine a Sure Grip. When going together, I put one in a vise and then start stacking the parts and just snug up the bolts and then stick in the other T before I torque them down. It aligns the splines and makes a simple way to put it together. My vise has pipe jaws and I just turn it to where the T is held straight up....

Thats pretty cool Cranky, Looks like your ready for anything, or anyone trying to cheat you at one of the swap meets.. Good deal.

I have seen that done with complete axles before but never saw anybody make a tool out of old axles. Good idea!

I have seen that done with complete axles before but never saw anybody make a tool out of old axles. Good idea!
I used axles too for about a year then figured I needed a better way....

they say"neccesity is the mother of invention" i'd put a patent on that b4 someone else beats ya to it.

Auto Transport Service
Back