• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque Converter ID

hemiEssex

Local time
1:09 AM
Reaction score
The torque converter behind my 68 440 looks brand new. Only numbers on it are a large HD and then the numbers 5298. Any idea what it is? what the stall might be? Would like to use it if possible, just want to know what it is so I can decide if the cam will work with it.
cheers
Steve

I don't know about the numbers but how much space is there between the ring gear and the side of the converter? If it's an inch or more it's probably the 11" unit and those have a slightly higher stall and work well with mild cams. Lumpy 108 LC cams typically want something a bit looser.

I'd say it's the standard non HP converter with very low stall. You can do what I did recently and get a TCI 11" from Summit for like $375.00 or go to your local tranny shop and get a rebuilt replacement converter for an internally balanced small block 727 application (not 360). I did this years ago and I ended up with a police 318 converter. Also, you will need to change the flex plate when going to the smaller converter. Stall speed might be around 1800.

Flex plate

So you use the small block flex plate? And then as for an 11 inch converter for a small block and it will work on the big block to give you 1800-2000 stall?
I have heard of this before but did not know specifics.
cheers
Steve

That's pretty much it. Seems to me there are two different crank bolt patterns so you might want to check what you have before you order parts. All the early steel cranks I have seen are an asymmetric pattern.

Auto Transport Service
Back