• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar crossmember thickness

Local time
1:56 PM
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1969 Coronet Deluxe with a Slant Six. First B body after three F bodies. Among a million other things, the floor needs to be replaced. As I’m tearing out the floor, I can see that the passenger side of the torsion bar crossmember is pretty much rusted away (the top is solid). The driver side is solid and it seems like a big project to replace the whole thing, so I’m thinking about rebuilding the passenger side. It looks like 14 gauge steel, but could someone verify that and if you have any tips on repairing that section, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

9558739B-1043-4715-B475-9D52BD1D486F.jpeg 2E3BD05D-F965-4F5E-8000-E078F8CA48BF.jpeg

Check it really good, especially the torsion bar sockets. Pics of what we did to reinforce my AMD replacement when we put it in my Bee.
beeresto2016bodyshop 710.JPG
beeresto2016bodyshop 238.JPG

I have repaired one with 16 gauge metal, and have also used a solid donor section......... both worked out well, the donor part was faster and less artsy fartsy.............. yours looks exceptionally nasty, you may want to replace the whole thing...... it probably less labor intense anyway

gtx3.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back