• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Towing.

Wallus57

Local time
5:26 AM
Reaction score
Hi again folks.
Can I tow a 63 Savoy with rear wheels down without removing the drive shaft? It's a manual transmission.
Thanks, Wally.

Around the block, sure. Across the province, 70mph freeway, I wouldn't.

It wont ruin the transmission like it would with an automatic trans, but for long distance, it is safer to remove.

Around the block, sure. Across the province, 70mph freeway, I wouldn't.
There will be just as much oil tossed around in that case in neutral towing or driving. The first/reverse gear is spinning all the time on the output shaft slinging oil all over the case. As long as the oil level is good it will not cause a problem.

Reminds me of guy I worked with; we had company cars and only permitted 250 personal miles per month. He couldn't cheat enough on the mileage report to cover his extensive personal use. Told him jokingly to remove the speedo cable. Ahh, he did and needed towing. Pissed he was at me. He was a friggin conceited asshole so didn't let it bother me much..

There will be just as much oil tossed around in that case in neutral towing or driving. The first/reverse gear is spinning all the time on the output shaft slinging oil all over the case. As long as the oil level is good it will not cause a problem.

Thanks pnora. I was a little bit concerned about the bearing between the input a output shafts but I guess there should enough flow there too. Do you happen to
know if the differential fill plug takes a special tool?

Fried towed his 1960 Dodge panel truck LA318 4speed from Texas to CT. Some where along the trans made noise or froze. Removed driveshaft and came home. The main shaft was galled not enough oil. He cheated and took a chance smoothed out galled and drove the truck several more years, no long distance.

Fried towed his 1960 Dodge panel truck LA318 4speed from Texas to CT. Some where along the trans made noise or froze. Removed driveshaft and came home. The main shaft was galled not enough oil. He cheated and took a chance smoothed out galled and drove the truck several more years, no long distance.
Chances are running it low he would of damaged it either way. Some transmissions may not work so well towing. The posters 3 speed will survive just as long towing as driving.

Hi again folks.
Can I tow a 63 Savoy with rear wheels down without removing the drive shaft? It's a manual transmission.
Thanks, Wally.
Should be fine. Just make sure everything is secure before doing so.

I have A-framed cars on long distances a few times over the years.

Towed this old hulk about 300 miles.
img106.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back