• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission shield or blanket

bobs63wagon

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:35 AM
Reaction score
I am in the same position as the rest of the country waiting for CSR to to make a shield for my 727. My order was at the end of January. CSR doesn't give any idea as to when it may be made. It seems nobody makes a blanket for a 727, but reading some posts where racers have done some work on blankets to make them work. At this point I don't see CSR getting one to me this season. So what have you guys done? Aluminum shield (cut the floorboard), some kind of blanket, whatever to get it safe and pass tech. I can't be the only one with this issue. Thanks.

i have a DJ Safety short blanket . I did make a bracket to hold it up off the end of shifter cable . Has not made any heat issues street or highway driving .

Tex

I have a Stroud Blanket on mine. 727 with deep pan. They’re 53” I seem to recall, lots long enough. Summit sells them.

Most people I know run a blankey.
Do you have a good drum and all that jazz?

I am in the same position as the rest of the country waiting for CSR to to make a shield for my 727. My order was at the end of January. CSR doesn't give any idea as to when it may be made. It seems nobody makes a blanket for a 727, but reading some posts where racers have done some work on blankets to make them work. At this point I don't see CSR getting one to me this season. So what have you guys done? Aluminum shield (cut the floorboard), some kind of blanket, whatever to get it safe and pass tech. I can't be the only one with this issue. Thanks.
And I'd much rather have a steel floorboard than an aluminum shield!!!

Most people I know run a blankey.
Do you have a good drum and all that jazz?
The trans has all the good stuff. So I think a blanket may be my choice now. If I can't get a decent answer from CSR next week that's what I will do. Thanks.

The aluminum shield and blanket both do a better job of containing shrapnel then the CSI. Never seen a pic of parts coming thru either one. However I have seen CSI failures. That may be the reason for the current holdup in production. The blanket can have fitment issues near the passenger side header with a 727. Not much room there. The aluminum shield can be a tight fit to the floor. Especially on an early B body. My solution was to cut the tunnel and enlarge it. Even with the motor slid rearward it fits easily. My sons 62 runs a blanket. Motor is in the stock location. Though we have the inner tubes on the RS header wrapped with heat wrap. So far it hasn't burned the blanket.
Doug

I run a blanket and it’s a PIA. As Doug mentioned, on the Pass side, it’s literally pinched between between the pan-rail and my Hooker Comps. I have wrap on the headers…. So far it’s okay, but time will tell.

Auto Transport Service
Back