• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission shifter

Dreamcatcher

Will fish for food
Local time
8:49 PM
Reaction score
I have a question for those of you that have installed the Hemi and new transmission. I have an 03 hemi and transmission from a ram truck. It of coarse had the column shifter. I want to have my original console in my 68 charger. What shifter will work (if any) for my console? Has anyone re-installed the original console after floor modifications to install this transmission? In all the hemi installation threads I have yet to see pictures of the finished product using the original console. Just trying to do all my home work before I make a decision on how to proceed on my 68 build. I was going to use the sb 727 to save cutting the floor etc. but really want the od transmission.

Any 3 speed shifter will operate the 545rfe trans, so your factory shifter will work fine, but there is a catch, like you didn't think there would be. You'll need a cable, B&M, you will need to figure out the throw of your shifter to the throw of the trans lever. Then bolt one end to your factory shifter and connect the other end to the trans. If your close, the adjustment on the cable will be minimal, if your off a **** load, drill another hole in the shifter.

Thanks 5.7, I am really struggling with which way to go. I have the wrecked truck with hemi but haven't really looked at it. I thought they were electric shift. I don't want to tear it down because I still don't know if I will put the hemi in my charger or keep the 440.Right now the truck runs and drives (with your head sticking out of coarse lol). I want the car to appear 68 charger in all respects but every time I drive our 300C hemi I grin and want the other hemi in my 68 lol. That 300 ROCKS for a big heavy car. The charger will be stock appearing right down to the thumb wheel 8 track it has now so the console must fit. I have not seen or heard of one that has had the floor cut for the 545 that has a factory console put back in place.

5.7 I read the thread (used wine instead of beer but that is just me) It sounds like you made a lot of change ups through the build. Did you just not like your 03 computer or did it not have the same power as the other. Mine has the two computers will the 05 computer work with it as well. It would take an 05 harness then as well right? I haven't ordered a thing so I can benefit from your thread. I was going to go with the 03 stuff just for cost reasons but all in all I want to only do things once and be done. I also seen your comment about just using the 727 if you had it to do again. Do you still feel that way or are you glad you went with the 545? I didn't think you had to run the return fuel line on a 5.7 (true or false). Anyway I am pretty sure I will do this 5.7 transplant. I have been stuffing large engines into small cars my whole life. And have put a 5.0 cobra into a 79 4x4 truck. But there I made my own harness and 10 years later it is still going strong. Also did a TPI into my wife's 70 chevelle. But used a computer and harness from the after market there. So no reason (except common sense) not to tackle this one. Your thread will be a great help. Thanks for the reply's.

The 03' computers are not tuning friendly, so use the 05', way better. The trans is ok, but really wont handle a lot of power, but built transmissions are available for some serious coin and I think a 727 with a gear vendors would be the way to go. A return line on any fuel system is better, helps keeps the fuel cooler and vapor lock down.

Auto Transport Service
Back